Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It was a pretty good storm for what we had this season so far.  And a day time "photogenic" snowstorm- those are rare; I'd give this storm a B+...the only negative I can think of is that it was a fast mover.

Eh.  Still roughly a 12-hour event.  Really can't complain.  Def solid by me!

2 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Eh.  Still roughly a 12-hour event.  Really can't complain.  Def solid by me!

Yeah- if this ends up being the biggest snowstorm of the winter and we nickle and dime our way to 25 inches or so, it'll still be a good winter.

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Still snowing borderline moderate here. I'm thinking we're up to 9" now. 

I'd think so, visibility is under a mile and the footprints I made in the snow about an hour ago are starting to get covered up (some of that is from the blowing snow too).

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Finally tapering down here, nice ending to an overperformer. I'd estimate 9" but it could be a little less or more because of drifts. 

Going to try to measure it? It's going to be hard with all the wind though.  I'll try around 10 or so

I'd say about 8" or so here in SE Nassau.  Impressed by how long it stayed moderate here.  I'd say it was moderate till about 15 minutes ago.  Took a look at the NWS radar and it kinda supports that.

Funny how as a kid in the 80s an 8" snowstorm felt like Christmas morning (and was much more rare than a Christmas morning), but how it feels like not so much now - and I attribute that much more to the multiple 18"+ storms we've seen than the fact that I'm not a kid anymore, though its probably a little of both.

Getting out there tonight shoveling in the crisp 20s air with it still coming down, light fluffy and easy to shovel reminds me of why I'm still a nut about snow and I guess at this point probably always will be.  Just wish it happened 7 to 14 days ago.

20 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Getting out there tonight shoveling in the crisp 20s air with it still coming down, light fluffy and easy to shovel reminds me of why I'm still a nut about snow and I guess at this point probably always will be.  Just wish it happened 7 to 14 days ago.

Mentioned to wife earlier what a great 12/24 a day like this would make.  Love to see that once in my life.  

1 hour ago, nzucker said:

I'm not apologizing to him. We were just debating a pattern. In the end, I think the verification will be a bit of a compromise, as usual: temperatures will probably finish warmer than he thought, and snowfall higher than I thought. I see lots of 40s and 50s next week which could make the Jan 5-20 pattern near to above normal.

We all said there was a window 1/7-1/10 for a snowfall. So no surprise there. Well predicted by most of the good minds on this forum; PB is certainly one of the better thinkers and analysts we have.

The upcoming 2-2.5 weeks should be a fairly significant blowtorch period. When all is said and done, largely (or totally) because of this storm alone, January will probably finish with near normal snowfall and above or well above normal temperatures. What happens following this warm period is the next question.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived