Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, masomenos said:

There just wasn't a lot of moisture with this storm. Certainly didn't reach its potential.

What?

There was plenty of moisture. There wasn't any blocking though.

If this storm was closer to the coast, the amounts would have been a lot higher.

7 minutes ago, masomenos said:

There just wasn't a lot of moisture with this storm. Certainly didn't reach its potential.

It was a pretty good storm for what we had this season so far.  And a day time "photogenic" snowstorm- those are rare; I'd give this storm a B+...the only negative I can think of is that it was a fast mover.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Thanks and hopefully he accepts your apology.

I'm not apologizing to him. We were just debating a pattern. In the end, I think the verification will be a bit of a compromise, as usual: temperatures will probably finish warmer than he thought, and snowfall higher than I thought. I see lots of 40s and 50s next week which could make the Jan 5-20 pattern near to above normal.

We all said there was a window 1/7-1/10 for a snowfall. So no surprise there. Well predicted by most of the good minds on this forum; PB is certainly one of the better thinkers and analysts we have.

3 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I'm not apologizing to him. We were just debating a pattern. In the end, I think the verification will be a bit of a compromise, as usual: temperatures will probably finish warmer than he thought, and snowfall higher than I thought. I see lots of 40s and 50s next week which could make the Jan 5-20 pattern near to above normal.

We all said there was a window 1/7-1/10 for a snowfall. So no surprise there. Well predicted by most of the good minds on this forum; PB is certainly one of the better thinkers and analysts we have.

Forecasting snowfall is always a risky proposition, especially in this era of higher SST, storms that would have gone out to sea in the 80s seem to be strengthening more quickly and staying closer to the coast.

I think we should look into "close calls" in bad patterns and see if more "close calls" are becoming "hits"

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

What?

There was plenty of moisture. There wasn't any blocking though.

If this storm was closer to the coast, the amounts would have been a lot higher.

Considering the type of banding we had today I'd usually expect to see better.  Just got its act together a little too late.

6 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It was a pretty good storm for what we had this season so far.  And a day time "photogenic" snowstorm- those are rar;, I'd give this storm a B+...the only negative I can think of is that it was a fast mover.

Agreed

4 minutes ago, masomenos said:

Considering the type of banding we had today I'd usually expect to see better.  Just got its act together a little too late.

Agreed

You're probably right about that, this storm kind of reminds me of a weaker version of the "middle" storm in January 2011, where parts of Suffolk County got 20" but the rest of us had like 6-9"  The thing is if the storm got its act together faster, I don't think it would matter for those of us west of Suffolk County unless the track was further to the west.

4 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

Snowfall as of 7 pm: NYC: 5.0" JFK: 7.5" LGA: 6.3" EWR: 5.5" ISP: 8.0" BDR: 5.3"

It's a pretty nice progression west to east from EWR to LGA to JFK to ISP...... 5.5 to 6.3 to 7.5 to 8.0  NYC's 5.0 is the odd man out lol

3 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

2013-14 don't ring a bell?

Thanks for reminding me but it was more like 2014-15 lol.  2013-14 was the winter where we had snow events changing to mix events here (still a very good winter though- including an unexpected half inch of snow in the middle of April, on tax day.)  2014-15 was the super cold winter with the big blizzard that just missed us to the east in January, but a very snowy and cold February and March.

6 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It's a pretty nice progression west to east from EWR to LGA to JFK to ISP...... 5.5 to 6.3 to 7.5 to 8.0  NYC's 5.0 is the odd man out lol

Pretty clear Central Park is too low. Makes no sense they had less than an inch in 2 hours when snow was falling moderate or heavy then. They should probably be at 6". 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Pretty clear Central Park is too low. Makes no sense they had less than an inch in 2 hours when snow was falling moderate or heavy then. They should probably be at 6". 

Maybe they will do a post-storm "correction" either way it's pretty frustrating how often this happens.

32 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Still snowing moderately here in SW Suffolk. About 8.5" otg so far.  Wonder  if we can make a respectable run at double-digits!

..as of 8pm..10" here in eastport...still snowing lightly..gusty winds blowing and drifting

the snow..

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived