Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TriPol said:

This is a storm I'm going to remember for a long, long time. I'd rather receive three or four moderate snows like this than get a repeat of 2006. This storm completely surprised us all - in the best way possible!

Or 2016 for that matter right? You guys in and around the NYC/tri-state got like 90% of the snowfall from that one blizzard. Feb 5th you were on the edge, and Feb 8th was almost a complete whiff, Mar 21 a couple inches maybe?

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Snow picking up again 

I know I see a few small green blobs right over us... the RU radar looks less impressive but still shows some heavy bands headed east. We must have hit 6 by now because after all the clean up I'm eyeing another inch on previously cleaned walks.

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Or 2016 for that matter right? You guys in and around the NYC/tri-state got like 90% of the snowfall from that one blizzard. Feb 5th you were on the edge, and Feb 8th was almost a complete whiff, Mar 21 a couple inches maybe?

Yep but early-mid February was pretty good too, we ended up with a bit over 40" on the season, with about 75% from the one big storm.

1 hour ago, ag3 said:

NYC might fall just short of 6".

JFK and LGA should be there with JFK closer to 7".

That'll get JFK over 10 inches on the season.

We need a larger baseline to cover temps and snowfall than just the one station in Central Park.  I say we use the full statistical history of JFK, LGA and NYC.

59 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Hopefully, he keeps on posting. We all know that this can be a tough "room" to play from time to time.

This new snowier era if the 2000's keeps pushing the boundaries of what the old teleconnections used to be able to produce.

Someone will have to investigate what role warmer Atlantic SST and perhaps even a slowing down of the Gulf Stream might have to play in all of this.

I remember all too well that storms like this in the 80s used to miss us wide right- much more often than not.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived