Newest Member
    Dano62
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 4:00 pm, we're at 4.75", so 1/2" the last 30 minutes.  Since about 4 pm, the intensity has come down a fair amount, as we're now snowing between lightly and moderately.  Assuming we have a few more hours of this, we'll easily make 5", but 6" might be out of reach, unless there is some backbuilding and we get back into the 20+DBZ bands.  Right now those bands have collapsed to just east of the TPK, which is east of me, as I'm 1/2 mile west of the TPK.  Not sure they'll come back. 

As of 5 pm, we hit 5.0", as that last band did backbuild to the west just enough to get us that last 1/4".  Looking at the radar, I doubt we get more than another 1/4" unless some stray short bands/squalls hit us, which is unlikely.  Areas in eastern half of Monmouth and Ocean and from NYC eastward can still get another inch or so, but I think it'll be over everywhere in NJ by 7 pm. 

Given that I'm seeing lots of 5-6" amounts in Middlesex County on AmericanWx, I'd say the NWS did well to go with the warning for 6" of snow (and I doubted them when they issued it around noon).  Just came in from a walk and my 2nd "shovel" with a push broom - nice easy stuff to push around. 

7 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 5 pm, we hit 5.0", as that last band did backbuild to the west just enough to get us that last 1/4".  Looking at the radar, I doubt we get more than another 1/4" unless some stray short bands/squalls hit us, which is unlikely.  Areas in eastern half of Monmouth and Ocean and from NYC eastward can still get another inch or so, but I think it'll be over everywhere in NJ by 7 pm. 

Given that I'm seeing lots of 5-6" amounts in Middlesex County on AmericanWx, I'd say the NWS did well to go with the warning for 6" of snow (and I doubted them when they issued it around noon).  Just came in from a walk and my 2nd "shovel" with a push broom - nice easy stuff to push around. 

Just got in from cleaning and it was light but seemed to be picking up again here in Colonia. Decent event.

2 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

Near JFK appears to be coming to an end shortly, now down to light snow. Should get us to 8 inches at least. Look for the 6p measurement at JFK. Beautiful storm. nice to get an overperformer. Hats off to NAM/RGEM and shame on the GFS and the Euro!

nah..another good hour of steady snow or more at jfk.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived