• Last Reply
Otherwise, 180 KT Jet in the 12Z OKX Sounding - not a coupled jet
structure, but a heck of an entrance region driving a textbook
ageostrophic direct circulation (see Uccellini and Johnson,
1979).

Overall, a very powdery snow will lessen impacts (and make for
easier shoveling!)

While the dprog/dt of the HRRR/RAP have lowered QPF with the last
few runs, Radar Reflectivity is very impressive as of 1630Z.
Local Storm Reports from Delaware are supporting 2+ inches per
hour rates approaching Long Island. Will issue another Special Wx
Statement.

59 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Up to 1" as of 11 am, reflecting the increase in intensity the past half hour (1" per hour rate).  If that keeps up, we'll get more than 3".  Down to 19F. 

About 1.75" as of 12 pm in Metuchen.  Snow/radar have lightened up a bit - hopefully a lull.  Love that the NWS finally upgraded most of the region to advisories and even warnings, although I'm skeptical of Middlesex reaching the 6" criterion for a warning (maybe SE half will).  I'll be ecstatic with 4 or 5".  

well considering that i live in the bronx ,i can def confirm that we have exceeded the 1.5 inch mark here at my locale in norwood,it's ripping outside right now also,so def working on 2 inches currently.this is a wind blown snow so measurements might be off a bit folks,not to mention localized banding. 

5 minutes ago, Cfa said:

It might be that cold now, but it's been pretty mild lately, there's likely some residual warmth. The ground isn't frozen (at least here it isn't). 

I know snow can accumulate on warm surfaces, but it doesn't happen at the same rate as snow piling up on cold surfaces.

Not true at all, I'm in manahattan the epicenter of warm ground and it's sticking to broadway with meh rates. That and the soil is rock solid frozen. Lowest sun angles of the year pretty much still too

13 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nyc east about to get rocked. Its on!

Upton:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY 1213 PM EST Sat Jan 7 2017 NYZ075-078>081-176>179-071815- KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK- SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN QUEENS- NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU- 1213 PM EST Sat Jan 7 2017 ...Heavy Snow This Afternoon...Avoid Travel... Snowfall rates of 1 to locally 2 inches per hour this afternoon will reduce visibility to less than 1/4 of a mile at times. With temperatures in the lower 20s, most roadways are snow covered. Travel is extremely dangerous and should be avoided. $$

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not true at all, I'm in manahattan the epicenter of warm ground and it's sticking to broadway with meh rates. That and the soil is rock solid frozen. Lowest sun angles of the year pretty much still too

i'm past the upper east side and while sticking to the ground it has been remarkable the streets have been wet since the snow started hours ago even with temps around 20 or so..

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived