Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1.7.17 Snow Event

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Forget me, I was thinking something totally different. (lack of sleep last night) I'm somewhat ok with that....doesn't bother me either way. As far as AW, even with the sharp cut off line tomorrow, going from 1-3  to 3-6 gets to me a little more. It just looks like they didn't try to narrow it down. It's basically saying 1-6 near the blue/pink line on the map.

I thought it was gonna go off on another tangent also. Lol.

49 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

My call is pretty much Glenn's map but shift all of the totals about 20 miles NW. 

I like his map as well....and your NW shift even more.  Puts me right in that 3-5" call.  

I feel like gambling, so I'm going with exactly 3.5" at my location.  

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

ECM is 5-6" in Philly

Atlanta is STILL raining I am feeling very bullish. Nice 0z runs outside the GFS 

I think 2-4" in SEPA NW to SE

Thanks for the report. I love watching things develop but I'm gonna try and get some sleep and wake up around 5 or 6 am and hope for an interesting Saturday.

Got up to check-in briefly and a few quick obs. 1) Tornado watches and warnings in FL. Those tstorms there and in SE are insane. Those squall lines are a thing of beauty for January. 2) Upper level obs irt to energy associated with the trof are off on several model initializations (NAM, Euro, Ukie from what I can tell). Actual vortmax and associated trof are quite a bit stronger and noticeably more amplified. 3) Atlanta was 99% rain.....just a few wet flakes at the end....SC mostly rain, much of NC East of the mountains rain, SE VA reporting rain....Norfolk mix sleet/rain. 4) the hrrr is a joke....many areas already with a few hours of accumulating snow not even showing as snow on the hrrr starting for another 3-4 more hours....these models arent even initializing correctly. 5) snow already on dca doorstep

Just taking a look at radar gets me I tell you but also taking a look at metar reports snow is still falling into western VA and even into WV. If it starts to snow here by the time I go to bed around 7-8am (from work) then I believe we have officially seen which models have, if you wanna call it, won the forecast. After that is all bonus since i am currently being forecasted nothing out here.

My 3AM musings based on current data and maybe I'm completely off-base but my biggest concern at this hour is irt the copious amount of convection firing and for those of us on the NW fringes of the modeled precip shield. There is a chance that West of I95 still gets kind of screwed here.....too much of a good thing. Those deep areas of convection could rob moisture on the NW side of our storm. Couple this with the fact dewpoints are running extremely low, and things could turn out much drier than anticipated west of I95. Hoping Im wrong and just some thoughts attm. Going back to sleep now.

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

My 3AM musings based on current data and maybe I'm completely off-base but my biggest concern at this hour is irt the copious amount of convection firing and for those of us on the NW fringes of the modeled precip shield. There is a chance that West of I95 still gets kind of screwed here.....too much of a good thing. Those deep areas of convection could rob moisture on the NW side of our storm. Couple this with the fact dewpoints are running extremely low, and things could turn out much drier than anticipated west of I95. Hoping Im wrong and just some thoughts attm. Going back to sleep now.

Yea I see what you mean by the DPs I guess it will kind of be a wait and see thing. While that western edge is not all snow falling it also is not really shrinking either. We shall see

Yeah, it looks like the precip shield is being projected better, but the actual slp further and further off carolina coast, which is opposite.  One or the other will be right with this, not both.

Just look at Norfolk.  When we were supposed to get closer to 4", they were gonna get rain.  That line has moved below the VA/NC border on live radar.  

Archived