joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1.7.17 Snow Event

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the NAM.  While interesting for sure, I'll wait for others to come on board.  RGEM isn't this bullish and likely GFS will not be either 

Hi res rgem has a similar deepening. Regular rgem op and GFS dont offer the same hi resolution. They are either sniffing something out or their higher resolution is having challenges handling the convection offshore.

The nam seems to depict a banding/convective appearance. That can mean feedback issues or at least higher stakes for winners under those bands and losers under the subsidence. 

Ninja lol.

I honestly dont see the 500mb mechanism that would cause this to bomb out like that so I am leaning towards convective feedback issues on the higher resolution stuff.

Our area is only half ass-ed running towards the football.  Boston is in a full fledged sprint and could have a severe injury if the NAM pulls a Lucy on them.

Lucy plays for Boston. I think she's undercover. They dont experience the same level of fail as we do down here. For every football pulled away from them in Boston they have 10 interceptions and takeaways of our storms.

There is no bias...I love folks that buy that bunk....there is only so far NW a system like this can go. Spots N and W of 95 were never in this game...now along the shore...bring it on.

I may need to convince the wife that I need to take a road trip to Sea Isle for the storm....but as those of you with young kids like me -easier said then done!!

And the NAM has a too amp'd up bias....

need to look at everything.  And at this point, looking at everything says NAM is overdone.

The one red flag I see (and that I usually take heat for) and the reason I haven't completely taken the NAM bait lies with the CRAS model. Laugh all you want. It has proven a useful piece of guidance when used properly and not taken verbatim. When that model isn't amped up and tracking on the Western side of other guidance, then the system usually ends up on the SE end of guidance and more progressive. And guess what? The CRAS has been with the GFS....even slightly flatter and farther S and E and it has not waivered since it has gotten within range. Im feeling more a S NJ and direct coastal brushing with very little N and W of I95.

3 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

There is no bias...I love folks that buy that bunk....there is only so far NW a system like this can go. Spots N and W of 95 were never in this game...now along the shore...bring it on.

I may need to convince the wife that I need to take a road trip to Sea Isle for the storm....but as those of you with young kids like me -easier said then done!!

Not really true.  Meso scale models tend to overdo convection which can certainly skew the location of the SLP.

5 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Not really true.  Meso scale models tend to overdo convection which can certainly skew the location of the SLP.

Sorry Haz those of us well N and W of the I95 corridor were never in the game for #2....but heck weather is not an exact science ( see Jan 2000) so what do I know - you may be more informed!!

9 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The one red flag I see (and that I usually take heat for) and the reason I haven't completely taken the NAM bait lies with the CRAS model. Laugh all you want. It has proven a useful piece of guidance when used properly and not taken verbatim. When that model isn't amped up and tracking on the Western side of other guidance, then the system usually ends up on the SE end of guidance and more progressive. And guess what? The CRAS has been with the GFS....even slightly flatter and farther S and E and it has not waivered since it has gotten within range. Im feeling more a S NJ and direct coastal brushing with very little N and W of I95.

Hi Ralph....ding ding ding....N and W of 95 not gonna happen IMHO.....but I am not a professional.....so we shall see!!

2 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Sorry Haz those of us well N and W of the I95 corridor were never in the game for #2....but heck weather is not an exact science ( see Jan 2000) so what do I know - you may be more informed!!

Oh, no, I agree.  We were always out of it.  Just saying there are model "bias'" at least when it comes to the NAM 

Hopefully the pattern shifts in time for a killer Feb 

Archived