Newest Member
    joxey
1.7.17 Snow Event

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I was in the shower. Likely my last update tonight....work early AM. Hrrr didnt back off as much as it leveled out. Held steady irt track and intensity. Never did show much qpf but I take the hrrr total accum maps with a grain of salt anyway. The NW shifts all afternoon were enough support for me to know west of 95 will now see some accumulation.

NAM nudged N and W again and expanded precip on NW side back towards Lancaster if not a bit farther W.

More important than the models at this hour, precip is starting to break out in Eastern Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky. That is a good sign as far as the westward expansion of developing precip. And rain continues in much if GA, SC, and NC without a strong push of CAA South for now anyway.

See ya in the AM.

Still no snow in Atlanta.  Heck, Norfolk is borderline

2 minutes ago, Jsdphilly said:

Thanks, in that case, time for a movie and bed! Once I wake up in the middle of the night, I am likely gonna be to excited to go back to bed if this looks like it really is coming togehter! 

I like it so much more when snows start during the late morning and afternoon.

Busy night for the pros at Mt Holly

916 PM: upgrading ne MD through PHL to an advy. increased POPS
through much of the area tomorrow and snow amt map will post with
a hasty update prior to 930 cron of products. Not much more to say
except that multi models with .15" PHL area and dry snow water
ratios will result in lots of fluff... sharp cut off somewhere
vcnty MQS- FWN. cud see isolated 4-5" back to I95.

No other comments for the rest of the area since just dont have
time to be sure.

900PM: preparation...we may add a tier of counties along I95 to
the advy ... especially IF the 00z nam has similar qpf through 18z
Saturday, as its 18z vsn. We saw the 18z RGEM increase qpf. We
know .10 qpf will probably equate to 1.5" of snow or more. Fine
line sig snow and would like to be more sure about raising amounts
on the western fringe and expanding the headline. 21z/6 SREF is
much more robust than the GEFS. HRRRX through 00z Sunday continues
to expand higher amts west. Will post a note at 945 PM.

1 minute ago, hazwoper said:

Still no snow in Atlanta.  Heck, Norfolk is borderline

DTs final call looking like a complete disaster at the moment. Then again so have most of his calls in the last few years. Have a feeling he ll update at like 2 am and make a super serious actually seriously finally final call though and claim victory.

the NWS in Philly has upped the advisories a tier to the NW, adding all of the SE PA counties and converting parts of South Jersey from Advisories to Warnings.  They've also updated the map again (pasting the link, as I can't paste the graphic), increasing forecast snowfall again, with the 3" line now within a few miles of the NJ TPK from South Jersey to New Brunswick. A little surprised they didn't add Mercer and Middlesex to the Advisory area, but maybe they'll do that after the full 00Z model suite is done, assuming the rest of the models trend a bit snowier; Mercer and Middlesex are generally listed as 1-3" snowfall (with the high end in the SE parts of each county). Stay tuned.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/... 916 PM:

upgrading ne MD through PHL to an advy. increased POPS through much of the area tomorrow and snow amt map will post with a hasty update prior to 930 cron of products. Not much more to say except that multi models with .15" PHL area and dry snow water ratios will result in lots of fluff... sharp cut off somewhere vcnty MQS- FWN. cud see isolated 4-5" back to I95. 

http://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

New 0z RGEM. Seems the actual moderate-heavier snow didn't trend NW but the light precip shield/virga did:

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

Rgem seemed ok to me. Deformation band sets up right over SE PA and Western NJ for several hours in the afternoon with snow tapering between 6-7 pm. Havent seen totals but general idea looks good still. G'nite.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

People forget to use the NAM 50% accumulation reduction formula.

I could be in trouble I told family coming from east Jersey they are only getting 3-4" tomorrow oops

It could lower your forecasting accuracy average a little bit but maybe not. I sometimes add the caveat - "but, you know, it's the weather". (One of the things that makes weather interesting too - no guarantees!).

Archived