SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/5/17 to 1/8/17 Obs Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 1.1" here, about 0.75" from the death band.  A little disappointing, but it looks good and the kids still had fun and enjoyed hot chocolate when they came inside.  Can't complain about that.

I made an attempt to calculate ratios for this one.  My methods weren't great, but to make a long story short I think it was around 15.5:1 for the storm, maybe a little higher.  According to pivotal weather the Kuchera ratio in my area was projected to be about 17:1, so not too far off. 

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Have a few measuring spots that I average.  Couple hit two, one didn't.  Will go with 1.8".  Had 0.06" precip in the gauge, 0.07" in the "snow core".  Legit 26:1 ratio with the dendrite band.

Nice one, congrats!

17 minutes ago, hosj III said:

1.6"

.1" between 4 AM and 11 AM. 1.5" between 11 AM and 1 PM.

Liquid equivalent will follow.

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Have a few measuring spots that I average.  Couple hit two, one didn't.  Will go with 1.8".  Had 0.06" precip in the gauge, 0.07" in the "snow core".  Legit 26:1 ratio with the dendrite band.

Looks like about .09" liquid here which yields a ratio of 18:1. Really hard to measure amounts that small. If we had gotten .3-.4" liquid as some of the weenie models were showing yesterday we would have cleaned up.

I'm going with 1.75" in NE Burke unless someone tells me differently. Not great, but it could have been more worser. Nice for my daighter's birthday party!

Question is whether we finish with 1.75" for the year or not...

i confirm 1.75" burke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

How'd everyone do? I just skipped 300 posts so not looking back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1-2" in the good spots, most were 1" including imby. Very rare 3" reports in lwx closer to Wes

Half inch in Germantown, but I saw 1.5 at Norbeck on the LWX report - that is not bad.  Only about 10-12 miles SE of me.

I got lots of texts and pics from my sister's family in Leonardtown, St Marys County.  They are real happy down there with 6-7 inches.

We will get a decent storm at some point this winter.  Shutout winters I remember, like 1998, 2002 and 2012, were just warm throughout and never had a storm to our south and east like this.  We will get ours.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived