• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

You'll have more snow OTG than Syracuse, lol!!

This probably doesn't materialize as it's out in GFS fantasyland but...spring continues to threaten a breakout in the extended range.  May need to get the golf sticks ready early?

Next week looks like a couple of minor mixed precipitation events before serious torching may get  organized.  Not sure I'm buying a Yuge torch yet as GFS advertising an anomalously cutoff over the central and east US.  Those usually don't work out, esp in longer ranges. If it does, we still have April in our back pocket. ;)

IMG_1243.GIF

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

This probably doesn't materialize as it's out in GFS fantasyland but...spring continues to threaten a breakout in the extended range.  May need to get the golf sticks ready early?

Next week looks like a couple of minor mixed precipitation events before serious torching may get  organized.  Not sure I'm buying a Yuge torch yet as GFS advertising an anomalously cutoff over the central and east US.  Those usually don't work out, esp in longer ranges. If it does, we still have April in our back pocket. ;)

IMG_1243.GIF

Thats just straight ugly!!  I don't trust it at all but I gotta say with a LP sitting off the coast like that, it'll do nothing but flood NA with Pacific Air so IDK what to think.

2 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Thats just straight ugly!!  I don't trust it at all but I gotta say with a LP sitting off the coast like that, it'll do nothing but flood NA with Pacific Air so IDK what to think.

Well hopefully the Mts out west continue getting massive snows to help ease the long term water problems in Cali.

On 1/6/2017 at 8:24 AM, wolfie09 said:

4k nam giving some hope to us in the southern part of the county, obviously to dry up north but really likes the sat/sun time frame..

hires_ref_syracuse_49.png

hires_tprecip_syracuse_61 (3).png

Interesting, as it shows the meso low coming ashore in and around Oswego which is quite surprising considering the lead time. Just the fact that it predicted one to form and move ashore is, I think incredible as they are almost impossible to predict, so way to go NAM!!

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

IMG_1243.GIF

I was looking at that setup and with the ridge over the central US, if it verified, Texas could be into the 80s.  The one silver lining is the huge Gulf of Alaska low is pumping up a west coast ridge that is inducing a digging trough downstream that is starting to breakdown the southeast ridge. Again this is GFS fantasy land. 

Surprised the NWS hasn't extended the warning passed 1 pm sunday, yet...

Tonight
Snow showers likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 13. West wind 6 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Sunday
Snow before 5pm, then snow showers likely after 5pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly between 9am and 5pm. High near 18. Blustery, with a northwest wind 11 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 8 inches possible.
Sunday Night
Snow, mainly before 3am, then a chance of snow showers after 3am. Low around 10. Northwest wind 6 to 15 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

5 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Surprised the NWS hasn't extended the warning passed 1 pm sunday, yet...

Tonight
Snow showers likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 13. West wind 6 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Sunday
Snow before 5pm, then snow showers likely after 5pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly between 9am and 5pm. High near 18. Blustery, with a northwest wind 11 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 8 inches possible.
Sunday Night
Snow, mainly before 3am, then a chance of snow showers after 3am. Low around 10. Northwest wind 6 to 15 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Their forecast graphs have 6" of snow falling in a few hours tomorrow morning. Really not sure what's going on, especially since they've extended 6-12" amounts all the way back towards Sodus 

32 minutes ago, AppsRunner said:

Their forecast graphs have 6" of snow falling in a few hours tomorrow morning. Really not sure what's going on, especially since they've extended 6-12" amounts all the way back towards Sodus 

KBUF is just nuts when it comes to amounts, seriously!  Can someone post an updated snowfall map from KBUF if possible

SWS

BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL AFFECT FAR SOUTHERN JEFFERSON...
OSWEGO AND NORTHERN CAYUGA COUNTIES...

A band of lake effect snow producing snow fall rates of 2 to 3
inches per hour will continue to move onshore from near Fair Haven
to western and northern Oswego County and the far southwest corner
of Jefferson County through early evening.

This highly complex band of lake effect snow circulating around a
small area of low pressure will bring highly variable conditions
with periods of heavy snow moving through different portions the
area.

Locations impacted include...
Oswego, Fulton, Fair Haven, Hannibal, Oswego, Selkirk Shores State
Park, Nine Mile Point and Scriba.

This includes Interstate 81 between exits 33 and 40.

Use extra caution if you must travel into or through this band of
very heavy lake effect snow. Motorists can expect very poor
visibility and snow covered roads.

43 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I'll try to find KBGM's as they are worlds apart, lol!

I've learned to never attempt to extrapolate KBUF snowfall maps to our area.  Maybe once a year that works but generally KBGM nails lake snowfall for this area and is usually about 50% of what you would think looking at a KBUF map (in this vicinity...other places they do well).  So...maybe we pick up 1-3" thru Sunday eve. "Lollipops" of 4" LOL.

Just stops at the border. Simply incredible as there is a very noticeable NW flow but it still appears to wanna head East!!

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

I've learned to never attempt to extrapolate KBUF snowfall maps to our area.  Maybe once a year that works but generally KBGM nails lake snowfall for this area and is usually about 50% of what you would think looking at a KBUF map (in this vicinity...other places they do well).  So...maybe we pick up 1-3" thru Sunday eve. "Lollipops" of 4" LOL.

Yep, and I would rather it just not snow at all as 4" is just a damn nuisance that is not needed but I guess, in such an unfortunate Winter, 4" is better than nothing

4 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Just stops at the border. Simply incredible as there is a very noticeable NW flow but it still appears to wanna head East!!

Yep, and I would rather it just not snow at all as 4" is just a damn nuisance that is not needed but I guess, in such an unfortunate Winter, 4" is better than nothing

I hear ya....but this is a more typical winter here IMO...the main LES stays North of us and we get a few transient table scraps and "broom" events from time to time.  Synoptic snowstorms of 10" or greater have been hard to come by for the most part, maybe one per season if you throw in lake assists.  We usually get one good Lake event per year...which we probably had...in November!   Still, better than last winter's snoozefest!

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Yeah I know, but why doesn't KBUF see that their accumulation graphics are always different than their surrounding offices.  KALB does a better job for their Northern counties that get hit pretty hard, than that of KBUF.  I'm not bashing them but rather trying to bring some awareness.

Archived