Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 1, 1/5-6/17 Discussion/OBS

dmillz25

5 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Still waiting on first flakes in parsippany prob on the northern fringe be thrilled with 2" tonight

5 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Still waiting on first flakes in parsippany prob on the northern fringe be thrilled with 2" tonight

I've got steady, moderate to heavy snow on Staten Island currently. 

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28F and light snow started here in Metuchen around 11:15 pm and as of midnight we now have moderate snow and have picked up a quick 1/2" of very light and fluffy snow.  Gorgeous.  This is clearly pretty low bulk density (fluffy) snow with a snow/liquid ratio of maybe 20:1.  I know some people get hung up on that, but it's the same mass of snow as 1/4" of 10:1 ratio snow, so the impact is the same, but it's deeper and looks more impressive.  

We tend to get fluffy snow when we get good vertical velocities and high supersaturation at good snow growth temps (-12 to -18C) in the dendritic snow growth region several thousand feet up in the atmosphere (500 mbar), leading to low moisture, larger dendrite-style flakes (as opposed to granules), which layer nicely, trapping more air and creating more snow depth for a given mass of snow.  Snow microphysics is fascinating - I do a lot of work in the field of organic chemical crystallization, which is quite similar in many ways.  

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Based on visibility I think we have crossed the light snow threshold. And based on radar it should ramp up quickly as we moisten the column

I've got steady snow and a coating to .5 in St.George on Staten Island, surprised on how quickly it picked up and started sticking. 

Holy mesoscale banding Batman - we're up to 1.5" in Metuchen, as we're under a great band of snow, arcing from about Wilmington, DE to NYC along I-95/TPK. Not much at all is falling towards the shore or well NW of 95. We might get 3" here if this keeps up for another hour or so, which looks very possible.  

Please, for the love of whatever, if you're posting, get the hell outside in this - it's freakin' gorgeous cotton candy snow...

Archived