Welcome to American Weather
WinterWxLuvr

January Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 2

1,576 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I love CO and have thought of moving to the mountains there several times, but often think I would miss the big coastals here.  Unless you live literally on the mountains, most of the towns up there get regular snow but usually not big huge dumps at a time just lots and lots and lots of 4-6" over and over.  But years like this make me think I should go and trade the occasional blizzard for regular snow every few days.  

That sounds like paradise.

39 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I love CO and have thought of moving to the mountains there several times, but often think I would miss the big coastals here.  Unless you live literally on the mountains, most of the towns up there get regular snow but usually not big huge dumps at a time just lots and lots and lots of 4-6" over and over.  But years like this make me think I should go and trade the occasional blizzard for regular snow every few days.  

It's a great life but certainly not for everyone. Couldn't have picked a better place to spend my 20's. Fit my personality to a tee at the time. The valley floor towns mostly average 150" or less and the biggest single 24hr totals than 12". I lived at the base of Buffalo mountain and worked in Keystone. An 8 mile drive went from 9700' to 8500' back to 9600'. Typical stark differences in snowfall over short distances. The big storms come in cycles and not individual events. It can snow at different intensities for 5 days straight. Pretty amazing. Not the best place to raise a family with public education though. Majority of local kids don't go to college or just go to the mountain community college but they are incredible skiers and boarders. lol. 

There are a couple downsides to living up high in ski country. Mud season (mid april through all of may) sucks. Backcountry skiing is the only game in town and everything is muddy all the time. Summers are really short and monsoon season (mid july though most of aug) sucks because it gets cloudy/chilly/rainy most afternoons. 

If I had a good job in the Denver area I would probably live in Evergreen or near there in the foothills. They get destroyed with upslope storms. Like 3'+ when a good one hits but not nearly as much nickle and diming as west of the divide. Precip shadow with sw-nw flow. But a good middle ground between the major cities and ski country. 

I can assure you that you won't miss the coastals though. That was the last thing on my mind living there. lol

27 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah the GEFS looks just fine.

I would like to see the higher heights over the other side of the pole extend over the pole a bit more and press down on the pattern as a whole a bit.  It's a perfectly acceptable B pattern type look, but if we really want a high probability snow pattern that would be the adjustment to look for.  Its close...really close to good.   

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a great life but certainly not for everyone. Couldn't have picked a better place to spend my 20's. Fit my personality to a tee at the time. The valley floor towns mostly average 150" or less and the biggest single 24hr totals than 12". I lived at the base of Buffalo mountain and worked in Keystone. An 8 mile drive went from 9700' to 8500' back to 9600'. Typical stark differences in snowfall over short distances. The big storms come in cycles and not individual events. It can snow at different intensities for 5 days straight. Pretty amazing. Not the best place to raise a family with public education though. Majority of local kids don't go to college or just go to the mountain community college but they are incredible skiers and boarders. lol. 

There are a couple downsides to living up high in ski country. Mud season (mid april through all of may) sucks. Backcountry skiing is the only game in town and everything is muddy all the time. Summers are really short and monsoon season (mid july though most of aug) sucks because it gets cloudy/chilly/rainy most afternoons. 

If I had a good job in the Denver area I would probably live in Evergreen or near there in the foothills. They get destroyed with upslope storms. Like 3'+ when a good one hits but not nearly as much nickle and diming as west of the divide. Precip shadow with sw-nw flow. But a good middle ground between the major cities and ski country. 

I can assure you that you won't miss the coastals though. That was the last thing on my mind living there. lol

I need to learn how to reply to one post in another thread...but I am replying over in banter.  

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Most be ramping up to something decent.   Let me guess.  240 hours.

Ha, it looks like nothing.  There was a pretty good wedge of cold in place with moisture approaching from the west-southwest, but luckily the high ran off like they all do and we are warm before any precip gets here.

Speaking of new threads, will someone please start the February Medium/Long Range Discussion?  I have started all of these and have been nothing but bad luck.  I'm not starting the next one.

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Whatever the euro is about to spit out, don't get suckered in.

lol yea you read my mind.  The op euro has been the tease this year in the 8-10 day range for sure.  

Euro suppresses a lobe of the PV into Quebec which creates confluence behind it allowing a high to slide down and across shifting the boundary south from the GFS.  The problem with the euro would be suppression not a cutter if anything.  Bottom line is the period has potential depending on how the boundary sets up based on those features up to our north.  

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Speaking of new threads, will someone please start the February Medium/Long Range Discussion?  I have started all of these and have been nothing but bad luck.  I'm not starting the next one.

Done. This fail is on me.

11 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

But the cold miraculously made a comeback and now we get hammered with 1/2" of snow at ............... 234 hours.

Good times.

the real threat is what its ejecting from the west day 10.  If that high over the lakes gets locked in behind the PV lobe over eastern Canada that could be a threat.  The boundary is starting off far enough south to keep us in play if the system doesn't amp too much.  Its coming out pretty deep so the threat is definitely a cutter over suppressed IMO but the cold is in place and its not racing out like in past setups and we have some lower heights to our northeast instead of that crap WAR that has allowed our highs to race off to the east before.  Its doable.