• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

I'm going with Roger Smith. Based on the discussion right now, we could see a progression of this type. The January window may have been a little early, but overall I like it. Give us a full moon and BOOM!

On 1/4/2017 at 11:47 PM, Roger Smith said:

Currently thinking that the best snowfall opportunities will be Jan 27-28, Feb 9-10 and Feb 24-26. The pattern is not vastly different from what I was expecting but cold air is being wasted on the inter-mountain west (giving me snow) and so the flow is not troughing far enough east yet, it's not like a raging torch pattern but when cold comes it has nothing to fight against in such a low-amplitude wave pattern, developments at present are vaguely encouraging (very nice storm potential for se VA) but I wouldn't look for much to happen through mid-January until we get a bit of height building in the eastern arctic and Greenland. 

Thus I remain optimistic about a good snowfall total eventually, the prime period is being pushed back into the best six weeks in climatological terms (late January to early March) for east coast snowfall. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I am assuming this is in reference to next week? Think we will see some impulses in the northern stream through that period that the models don't pick up on well until closer in. Maybe squeak out and inch or 2 that way.

With the ridge/trough axis being progged, it's going to be hard to near impossible for a NS vort to pass below us. The only reason we aren't in a shutout pattern over the next 2 weeks is because temps could support snow. It's awful close to a shutout pattern though. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

With the ridge/trough axis being progged, it's going to be hard to near impossible for a NS vort to pass below us. The only reason we aren't in a shutout pattern over the next 2 weeks is because temps could support snow. It's awful close to a shutout pattern though. 

This is pretty much what has been expected looking at the advertised pattern evolution on the ensembles the past week or so. Some here were/are discussing the possibility of a freak coastal bomb around the 24th, but there is no sign of cold anywhere so its not realistic to expect anything other than more rain. Once the ridge establishes out west, we get colder, but dry for a period. Its always looked like early Feb where we could get back in the game with snow chances, and likely not until late in the first week or even beyond. It is what it is, but at least the advertised change is persistent on all guidance and not shifting in time.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

I am assuming this is in reference to next week? Think we will see some impulses in the northern stream through that period that the models don't pick up on well until closer in. Maybe squeak out and inch or 2 that way.

You may be OK with northers stream stuff in that setup. But that looks like nothing but heartache for us down here. Gonna be hard to get anything south of us I think.

oops. I really need to read the next page before responding. Ninja'd by Bob of Course

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

Euro is........interesting.......

yea digesting it now.  interesting is a good way of putting it.  It's still likely to end in heartbreak but the GFS took a step towards it also and its been slowly trending towards maybe something for a while.  I am not sure it can get there in the 95 corridor but for the higher elevation places its becoming possibly something to keep an eye on for a surprise.  Also driving the cold in after the system such that perhaps that next vort could do something.   Its a weird convoluted complicated setup.  We suck at those.  But at least interesting is better then how I would describe most of this winter.  

GEFS just had its first run in a long while that threw us some bones in the snowfall department.  One actually heavy hitter NW of 95 with the day 6-7 storm.  A few others are close.  Its a LONG shot but if it continues to trend colder, ehh, I dont want to get any hopes up I dont see it as much of a risk but its still far enough out that crazier things have happened.  Then a few big hits scattered in the mix day 10-15.  Its at least something in a sea of boring lately.  

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

GEFS just had its first run in a long while that threw us some bones in the snowfall department.  One actually heavy hitter NW of 95 with the day 6-7 storm.  A few others are close.  Its a LONG shot but if it continues to trend colder, ehh, I dont want to get any hopes up I dont see it as much of a risk but its still far enough out that crazier things have happened.  Then a few big hits scattered in the mix day 10-15.  Its at least something in a sea of boring lately.  

We will track a tenth of an inch of sleet and rain.. so yes.. we will watch and hope... 

I cried with my FB memory of what today's models showed a year ago! 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

yea digesting it now.  interesting is a good way of putting it.  It's still likely to end in heartbreak but the GFS took a step towards it also and its been slowly trending towards maybe something for a while.  I am not sure it can get there in the 95 corridor but for the higher elevation places its becoming possibly something to keep an eye on for a surprise.  Also driving the cold in after the system such that perhaps that next vort could do something.   Its a weird convoluted complicated setup.  We suck at those.  But at least interesting is better then how I would describe most of this winter.  

Thats the more interesting part. Still think the 24th storm is super unlikely to get frozen in our region. NE has a decent shot with the trends.

20 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You may be OK with northers stream stuff in that setup. But that looks like nothing but heartache for us down here. Gonna be hard to get anything south of us I think.

oops. I really need to read the next page before responding. Ninja'd by Bob of Course

I'm not sure we can place that much faith in two week progs even if they are ensembles, and, I don't think we can predict sw's at two week intervals.  So I'm not that sure that it would be as difficult as some are saying to catch a clipper.  Two things.  One, to catch a ns sw before it heads north of us, I think it still needs some downward momentum for lack of a better way to say it.  If it rounds the bottom of the trough west of us, then north it goes.  Two, if the ridge is steep, I think that might help as well.  We've had some clippers do just that.  It's the ones that ride a flatter trough that end up shooting north of us as they approach.  Anyway, as messy as that is, I think it's possible to get small clipper type snows out of that type of pattern.  Not likely, perhaps.

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I'm not sure we can place that much faith in two week progs even if they are ensembles, and, I don't think we can predict sw's at two week intervals.  So I'm not that sure that it would be as difficult as some are saying to catch a clipper.  Two things.  One, to catch a ns sw before it heads north of us, I think it still needs some downward momentum for lack of a better way to say it.  If it rounds the bottom of the trough west of us, then north it goes.  Two, if the ridge is steep, I think that might help as well.  We've had some clippers do just that.  It's the ones that ride a flatter trough that end up shooting north of us as they approach.  Anyway, as messy as that is, I think it's possible to get small clipper type snows out of that type of pattern.  Not likely, perhaps.

You could be right. 

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You're not missing anything.

Good! :)

Euro going for the d10 phase job.

holy crap I had some "real work" to do then came back to see the end of the run and almost spit up my drink.  LOL

Doubt it but its nice to dream for another 12 hours I guess

overall a pretty weenie run, teases us with 2 systems close enough to keep an eye on and then BOOM

dream.png

Wet pasty snow 95 and west. Hour 246 is plastering too. 

good ol 33 degree wet snow paste bomb yea.  Its fully phased and vertically stacked at our latitude so the close pass of the SLP doesnt hurt places 95 west at all.  East of 95 its a bit too close but its day 10.  Shame the euro has been a tease at d10 so much this year.  

I highly doubt any op run detail that far out but the trends today in general are good.  Some potential hits are starting to show up, both on op runs and mixed into the ensembles.  Its a baby step but an important first step.  Lets just hope we continue progress in future runs.  

1 minute ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Ok, for the experts, where is that cold air coming from on that D10 storm? No high to north, correct? 

There is a weak HP to the north. But this is all for fun at this point anyways. That storm has about as much a chance as verifying as modeled as I do winning the power ball this week.

Archived