Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We probably don't want to root for too far south with the cold push. Precip is focused on the stalled mid-level boundary. The further south the 850 line goes the further south the snowfall goes too. 

Thank you for saying it because if I did someone might throw something at me. 

The warm pattern looks to really only be a week and then things start to step back down on both the GFS and Euro.  By day 10 we are already in the process.  The cold high coming across in the middle of the ridge really killed the idea of a long drawn out torch.  We get a couple warm days, then several cold...then maybe 4-5 warm again before we transition back to seasonal and perhaps eventually below.  

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

Southern Jet is cranking on the long range maps. It resembles an El Nino pattern.

That would make sense given the current MJO and SOI projections.   It would also put us in play for a great Feb if other things fall our way, but getting some STJ action is one piece of the puzzle for snow around here.  

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That would make sense given the current MJO and SOI projections.   It would also put us in play for a great Feb if other things fall our way, but getting some STJ action is one piece of the puzzle for snow around here.  

Front Back Loaded Winter!!

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

How is this even possible right now? Wow. Impressive turnaround to say the least!

18 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

How is this even possible right now? Wow. Impressive turnaround to say the least!

Both the GFS and Euro based guidance takes the MJO strongly into phase 1 in about a week.  The soi also looks like its about to fall.  That combo would support an emerging STJ.  Get the trough into the east while the STJ is active and we now have 2 of the major ingredients to pull out a late win.  It's way too soon to know if it will all come together.  Still need to know the specifics but seeing the PNA going up, ridging buidling west of Hudson Bay, trough coming back into the east, and the STJ getting active in the long range isnt a bad thing.  

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Both the GFS and Euro based guidance takes the MJO strongly into phase 1 in about a week.  The soi also looks like its about to fall.  That combo would support an emerging STJ.  Get the trough into the east while the STJ is active and we now have 2 of the major ingredients to pull out a late win.  It's way too soon to know if it will all come together.  Still need to know the specifics but seeing the PNA going up, ridging buidling west of Hudson Bay, trough coming back into the east, and the STJ getting active in the long range isnt a bad thing.  

So we're almost looking at a carbon copy of 2016 now, but with hostile teleconnections?...lol! weird

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

How many of the phases of the mjo are good

56 minutes ago, Amped said:

Southern Jet is cranking on the long range maps. It resembles an El Nino pattern.

It is going more El Nino like. Thinking is that the La Nina is weakening or decaying , and in reponse the Pacific is changing .  

This change I also read might be responsible,  or is helping the changes you see forecasted in the NE Pac later in the month, as well as getitng the MJO to move into phases 8 and 1 .

Actually everything might be working together helping the + PNA to form  with the undercutting ( split flow ) jet

28 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

DT's week in weather is very interesting showing the several MJO plots, and other stuff. DT indicate if the pattern progresses like the models show its an East Coast snow Storm pattern. CFS shown on his video, + PNA, - AO, - NAO

What I found  most interesting about DT's presentation was his chart and discussion of the QBO. It was plus 16 and still increasing in a Westerly direction . DT feels that this has been a factor in the AO forecasts not holding with developing a deep negative AO value.   As DT states ,and Judah Cohen aslo mentioned in his blog recently , a strong Westerly QBO tends to favor a powerful PV located near the pole.

I do see there are "some " indications  of warming and some changes to the PV at the end of the month, so maybe that will play a role in the upcoming pattern change as well.  

Lastly,  DT mentions in his video that the turn to colder in Feb is likely,  but for how long is the question. He blames the role of the QBO on this and the uncertainty of the AO. 

I like what I am seeing and feel more confident that we will have an extended window this time around given the changes in the Pac. If the split flow materlizes and we get a -NAO we might have fun tracking some big dogs.    

4 minutes ago, frd said:

DT's week in weather is very interesting showing the several MJO plots, and other stuff. DT indicate if the pattern progresses like the models show its an East Coast snow Storm pattern. CFS shown on his video, + PNA, - AO, - NAO

What I found  most interesting about DT's presentation was his chart and discussion of the QBO. It was plus 16 and still increasing in a Westerly direction . DT feels that this has been a factor in the AO forecasts not holding with developing a deep negative AO value.   As DT states ,and Judah Cohen aslo mentioned in his blog recently , a strong Westerly QBO tends to favor a powerful PV located near the pole.

I do see there are "some " indications  of warming and some changes to the PV at the end of the month, so maybe that will play a role in the upcoming pattern change as well.  

Lastly,  DT mentions in his video that the turn to colder in Feb is likely,  but for how long is the question. He blames the role of the QBO on this and the uncertainty of the AO. 

I like what I am seeing and feel more confident that we will have an extended window this time around given the changes in the Pac. If the split flow materlizes and we get a -NAO we might have fun tracking some big dogs.    

Thanks for the update!

4 minutes ago, frd said:

It's possible the qbo going so strongly to a west state hurt us more then anything else so far. We have had plenty of cold enso years more Nina then this be more snow friendly but most of them were east or at least neutralish qbo state. The qbo correlation with the pos AO wanes a little later in the season so perhaps it's something we can overcome in feb. otherwise will need a great PAC setup to make due without any blocking. 

Archived