Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

54 minutes ago, yoda said:

Those are nice... gathering March 21st was a Miller B?  Or not enough cold air around? Cause BWI getting 11 inches and IAD at 2" seems to be a wicked cutoff

I will plot it out in a bit, but I had this from the Feb 18-19 storm.  Another really tight gradient system across our area. Feb 18-19 1964.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, usedtobe said:

Trouble is analogs are only good to the periods centered around the time of the centered mean.  Much past those 5 days they are of little or no value by February and March they are pretty much worthless. 

I know, just dreaming 

If a similar pattern did manage to turn around and produce a good pattern later on that winter it at least offers hope.  Not much more then that.  Of course some total clunkers like 2008 and 1973 are mixed in equally with the years that flipped better.  

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know, just dreaming 

If a similar pattern did manage to turn around and produce a good pattern later on that winter it at least offers hope.  Not much more then that.  Of course some total clunkers like 2008 and 1973 are mixed in equally with the years that flipped better.  

Memory is a tricky thing, and I lived in swva at the time, but I remember 92-93 as a year with a good storm in early December of 92, and then basically nothing until early Feb.  From early Feb through mid March it was cold and somewhat snowy with March 13 of course being the hammer.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

12z GGEM... hmmm... 138-144

Evaporational cooling could account for some of it but there is a somewhat weird jump south of 75-100 miles with the 850's from 132-136. Don't have the maps nor the inclination to  look into it further though.

Losing faith in this time period. Euro and the Eps keep the boundary up into northern PA and the GFS and its ensembles have been slowly trending north as well.

8 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Evaporational cooling could account for some of it but there is a somewhat weird jump south of 75-100 miles with the 850's from 132-136. Don't have the maps nor the inclination to  look into it further though.

Losing faith in this time period. Euro and the Eps keep the boundary up into northern PA and the GFS and its ensembles have been slowly trending north as well.

Well it could be more of an ice storm re 12z GGEM... looking at 1000-850mb thicknesses we are cold enough for frozen precip from 132-144... looking deeper into it MD just gets cold enough through the column for snow... C VA has a fun icy time... and in between who knows

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Those are nice... gathering March 21st was a Miller B?  Or not enough cold air around? Cause BWI getting 11 inches and IAD at 2" seems to be a wicked cutoff

This is what I got for March 21 1964.  Based on the precip totals I would guess it was a late developing miller b yea, places to the west got precip, like .75 qpf but once you get DC northeast those amounts went way way up.  Seems everyone got some rain but my guess is places that got into the heavy precip from the bombing low changed to snow and that favored northeast and higher elevation also.  March21, 1964.png

16 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Memory is a tricky thing, and I lived in swva at the time, but I remember 92-93 as a year with a good storm in early December of 92, and then basically nothing until early Feb.  From early Feb through mid March it was cold and somewhat snowy with March 13 of course being the hammer.

Yes that's accurate 

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This is what I got for March 21 1964.  Based on the precip totals I would guess it was a late developing miller b yea, places to the west got precip, like .75 qpf but once you get DC northeast those amounts went way way up.  Seems everyone got some rain but my guess is places that got into the heavy precip from the bombing low changed to snow and that favored northeast and higher elevation also.  March21, 1964.png

Carroll County with the jackpot....say it ain't so    lol

19 minutes ago, Ji said:

how much icy precip is showing up on euro on saturday?

Better look on the Euro then previous runs. Rough estimate but for the most part it looks as if most of the frozen (Fr rain, sleet) is confined to central and northern MD. Snow line is PA/MD line and north. Rough estimate of .25 of precip with a little more north and a little less south.

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Better look on the Euro then previous runs. Rough estimate but for the most part it looks as if most of the frozen (Fr rain, sleet) is confined to central and northern MD. Snow line is PA/MD line and north. Rough estimate of .25 of precip with a little more north and a little less south.

thanks!

55 minutes ago, 87storms said:

You're not alone.  50 degree temps sound extraordinary right now.  I'm not about this 20 degree life when it's not snowing.

I chased (ocean city ) this past weekend. second best snow chase ever... so i am good for a while.

1 minute ago, high risk said:

true, but while I don't remember what the overall pattern looked like, we actually scored on a fluke clipper in a fairly zonal flow situation

Early march was legit nw of the cities. First there was a west to system that was mostly cold rain down there but 6" up here. Then a little sw came east along the boundary and trained a small meso band right over the D.C. Metro. Like 6-10" just west of D.C.  Only an inch or two up here. Then a coastal a few days later. 10" up here. I think a few inches nw of 95. Mix issues 95 east. 

EPS continues to progress steadily the way I expected. By day 15 ridge is centered just south of Baffin Island and starting to raise heights in western Canada and AK. In response heights are lowering in the southeast.  Not there yet but another day and another step. So far at least it's progressing the way we need it too if we want a chance in feb. 

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Early march was legit nw of the cities. First there was a west to system that was mostly cold rain down there but 6" up here. Then a little sw came east along the boundary and trained a small meso band right over the D.C. Metro. Like 6-10" just west of D.C.  Only an inch or two up here. Then a coastal a few days later. 10" up here. I think a few inches nw of 95. Mix issues 95 east. 

fair enough.   I was totally focused on that 3/9/99 event which, as you said, put down that amazing band right through DC Metro.

Archived