SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS 18z doesn't look good if you want snow. Maybe an inch or two with the initial wave Saturday but that low cuts and we rain Monday. We need that low to pull out of the gulf much earlier and be stronger so the high doesn't move away. By the time the low makes that move the high moves to our southeast and the low cuts resulting in rain. Plenty of runs to go but it's not looking too good

1 minute ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

GFS 18z doesn't look good if you want snow. Maybe an inch or two with the initial wave Saturday but that low cuts and we rain Monday. We need that low to pull out of the gulf much earlier and be stronger so the high doesn't move away. By the time the low makes that move the high moves to our southeast and the low cuts resulting in rain. Plenty of runs to go but it's not looking too good

What are you expecting?

It looks good for some accumulating snow.

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

What are you expecting?

It looks good for some accumulating snow.

Gefs looked wetter for Saturday so that's a start. I expect the trend to begin sometimes tomorrow if not tonight where we have a good over running system on Saturday and early Sunday followed by a Monday storm. The storm Monday is most likely going to cut but you never know with these systems especially with the strong high that's being forecasted.

22 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Very odd, ensembles don't agree with op runs.. both EPS and GEFS stay par with most members  3-6" 

We have not had an event such as this in quite awhile.  SW flow events don't even really compare to these because usually the shortwave is much stronger.  The general tendency is for the models to be relatively bad with QPF on these events beyond 48-60 hours because its pure overrunning and I don't think the non high res models usually pick up on things well with these.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

We have not had an event such as this in quite awhile.  SW flow events don't even really compare to these because usually the shortwave is much stronger.  The general tendency is for the models to be relatively bad with QPF on these events beyond 48-60 hours because its pure overrunning and I don't think the non high res models usually pick up on things well with these.

Areas north of 84 need to watch for prolong icing event, not depicted on surface maps, but  areas are below 0c at 850 and low 30s at onset, heavy precip and damning could keep some interior section snow/ice longerdy86j4.jpgj7w1gz.jpg

1 hour ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Same on GFS, below 0c 850 temps low 30s35ivy3q.jpg24qmq8h.jpg

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think that snowgoose is speaking about the weekend threat, or he should be at least. The weekend system a lot of potential. Take a look at the ggem almost exploding precipitation across much of our regions. 

IMG_1382.PNG

1 hour ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Same on GFS, below 0c 850 temps low 30s35ivy3q.jpg24qmq8h.jpg

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think that snowgoose is speaking about the weekend or he should be at least. The weekend system a lot of potential. Take a look at the ggem almost exploding precipitation across much of our regions. 

IMG_1382.PNG

P.s. Ulsterfeen

3 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

I think that snowgoose is speaking about the weekend or he should be at least. The weekend system a lot of potential. Take a look at the ggem almost exploding precipitation across much of our regions. 

IMG_1382.PNG

Weekend event is dead IMO, unless your in central jersey where 1-3" is a good possibility slips an extremely weak area of LP south of our region then enhances it about 500 miles offshore... wouldn't necessarily call it exploding ATM

11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 12z GFS brings us highs in the 50's at least 5 or 6 times in the next two weeks with zero snow threats. Looks like mostly dry and pleasent weather to close out January. Hopefully an early Spring is in order.

January is dead for sure... what a waste of early cold, hoping to atleast hit average snowfall between Feb/March

8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Gefs is more aggressive for Saturday than the op

52 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 12z GFS brings us highs in the 50's at least 5 or 6 times in the next two weeks with zero snow threats. Looks like mostly dry and pleasent weather to close out January. Hopefully an early Spring is in order.

Which is it.

is it time to cancel winter on the 11th of January.

11 minutes ago, Animal said:

Which is it.

is it time to cancel winter on the 11th of January.

While it's true that the GEFS are a bit more enthusiastic, they still reload the torch by the middle of the month and persists through the end of January, so I'm not really sure what he's referring too.

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_20.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_27.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_31.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_38.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_49.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_65.png

Archived