SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2016-17 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24F with a flizzard. Have a two storm glacier on the ground, multiple arctic air masses now this roughly 10 day periodic time from the first arctic hit through the next couple days is easily the coldest most wintry March time in my life. Too bad it got tainted with the blizzard bustorama.

This same airmass in mid January would have easily been below zero for lows and highs to 10F max in and around Philly. This type of extended Arctic March outbreak doesnt happen too often and Im with Red Sky....I dont ever recall a March this cold and snowy. I have a 7" or so thick layer of concrete ice where Im at. It will melt but it is going to take a while for March standards.

12 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Interesting warnings out in the city of Philadelphia.....pedestrians being warned to stay vigilant for falling sheets of ice and icicles which "could cause crushing injuries, impalement, or even death". Lots of sidewalks closed. Just saw this on the local news. 

They had Market St. closed yesterday between City Hall and 12th St. (as well as the sidewalks along that stretch) because of the ice falling from the buildings.  The Flower Show is going on at the Convention Center this week so there are a lot of folks in town in that area due to that.

It finally went above freezing here (currently 33F) but I can't imagine any of the glacial plowed mounds going anywhere any time soon.  What surprised me was the winds today.  Seems it is windier today than yesterday!

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

13F low this morning adds to an incredible run of cold days and nights the last two weeks. Small amount of wintry mix possible tomorrow morning maybe some more of that ever popular sleet lol

I see more freezing rain, if anything and I don't think we'll get much anyway. Very little precip, but low temps will drop into the 20s tonight so anything that falls will be frozen.

22 hours ago, RedSky said:

13F low this morning adds to an incredible run of cold days and nights the last two weeks. Small amount of wintry mix possible tomorrow morning maybe some more of that ever popular sleet lol

Next winter will be better.....trust me on this. No more pulled footballs with EVERY chance. Lucy has been, let's just say, taken care of for a little while ;-)

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Next winter will be better.....trust me on this. No more pulled footballs with EVERY chance. Lucy has been, let's just say, taken care of for a little while ;-)

Yeah we will never repeat the period we just had from post blizzard through this winter of rugs and footballs yanked from us. It's been like the Simpson's when Homer was in hell and old scratch was feeding him an endless supply of doughnuts.

Archived