Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2016-17 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Is there such a rule? I remember in the winter of 2013-2014 it happened at least a couple of times.

It's an old JB thing, said it's weather lore from the Carolinas. Anyway, temps starting to drop, after a high of 71.8F I'm now down to 58.8F ... that matches my overnight low from last night!

The storm isn't over here but I don't think it'll get worse here. I'm sadly kind of in a split area, with warnings to my north and south. While it is February, it's the same 'ol same 'ol like in the summer. The lightning has been pretty impressive, but there was a little kink/bow that formed that went just to the north of me. Beyond heavy rain and lightning, there's been nothing else.

13 hours ago, Animal said:

looking at the line..ABE area should seek shelter.

If its like what we went through it was intense still no power and still hearing sirens winds died down now but man did it cool down 

13 hours ago, Animal said:

looking at the line..ABE area should seek shelter.

61 mph winds officially here with the storm finally power was restored at 4am 

1 hour ago, Newman said:

Yesterdays storm was one of the worst in a while with regards to the wind here in Berks County. Usually we never verify severe with wind, but yesterday we did with many places in Berks reporting 60-65 mph winds.

Yeah it was a lot like we had with Sandy just not the prolonged damaging winds, it was over in about  15 mins. but in that short time it caused a lot of damage 

Day 3 slight risk from SPC for severe on wednesday. Not too common around here on March 1st... Setup looks good again for another squall line bringing damaging winds. temps getting into the 70's, dews getting close to 60 again along with another strong cold front...we usually do well when we have good dynamics but marginal instability. maybe this crappy winter pattern will provide us with a solid spring severe pattern. off to a pretty good start at least.

new spc day 1 brings an enhanced risk into from about PHL west to Lancaster. I could see this expanding a bit further north as the day progresses as that convection should mostly miss se pa. today is looking like a better set up than Saturday. could see a widespread wind damage event.

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

new spc day 1 brings an enhanced risk into from about PHL west to Lancaster. I could see this expanding a bit further north as the day progresses as that convection should mostly miss se pa. today is looking like a better set up than Saturday. could see a widespread wind damage event.

We'll see how this rain right now affects future destabilization.

9 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Yeah. Im not impressed in the least with this afternoon threat.

The recent Mesoscale Discussion for south of us also discusses the lack of instability here in PA due to this mornings convection. The Mid-Atlantic should do better with more clearing.

1 hour ago, Newman said:

The recent Mesoscale Discussion for south of us also discusses the lack of instability here in PA due to this mornings convection. The Mid-Atlantic should do better with more clearing.

Yeah Ill be glad if this one fizzles out, I surely do not need the wind damage we had Saturday night, I'll go for a good thunderstorm less the wind. 

spc disagrees with those thinking this will be no big deal. pushed the enhanced risk a bit further north and brought tornado probs up to 5%. we should get a couple hours of sunshine. sun has already started to come out here in Ewing. we don't need a ton of instability with the dynamics in place and with this clearing ahead of the line, it should be enough. I think a severe watch will be issued for se pa into NJ shortly. also once that line pushes through this afternoon, we may see another round with the front later tonight.

4 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

the sun is out here temp climbing through the 60's also DP is @ 60 and climbing, we will see

Sun has been shining for about 15 minutes now also. Also, did you get any damage from the storms Saturday at your own house, or are you referring generally to Berks County getting damage? I was lucky enough to escape any damage in my backyard, but the Reading Eagle showed well the damage the storm brought.

spc disagrees with those thinking this will be no big deal. pushed the enhanced risk a bit further north and brought tornado probs up to 5%. we should get a couple hours of sunshine. sun has already started to come out here in Ewing. we don't need a ton of instability with the dynamics in place and with this clearing ahead of the line, it should be enough. I think a severe watch will be issued for se pa into NJ shortly. also once that line pushes through this afternoon, we may see another round with the front later tonight.

Hrrr is aggressive.

Archived