• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

:offtopic:(I know...)  Do you think it would be possible to include SWVA into the Tennessee valley sub-forum coverage even though it unofficially is? It is both culturally and geographically part of the Tennessee valley. or is overlap of regions prohibited? Technically I'm within the southeastern sub-forum but the mountains and state borders isolate those in SWVA. Who is in control of these things? Moderators?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

I'm hoping our little guy coming out of AR into TN will begin interacting with the deeper moisture before the Huntsville area to set up the axis somewhere along that red line...  Thoughts?  

Natural Axis.jpg

I would think as the upper level system begins to interact with all that moisture, we'll see more precip develop and become enhanced along northern Alabama. 

I'm watching the same radar bud.  It is headed our way.  :drunk:

:offtopic:(I know...)  Do you think it would be possible to include SWVA into the Tennessee valley sub-forum coverage even though it unofficially is? It is both culturally and geographically part of the Tennessee valley. or is overlap of regions prohibited? Technically I'm within the southeastern sub-forum but the mountains and state borders isolate those in SWVA. Who is in control of these things? Moderators?

Well I think Carver is in SWVA near Kingsport. Technically, the Tennessee River is one of the key geographic features that defines the Tennessee Valley. The TVA/Tennessee River Watershed begins in SWVA with all three forks of the Holston River and the Clinch River. I think it should be included since most of the weather is tied to the rest of the Ridge and Valley geographic region. The divide somewhere around i-77. Everything east of there flows into the New River Valley.

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Well I think Carver is in SWVA near Kingsport. Technically, the Tennessee River is one of the key geographic features that defines the Tennessee Valley. The TVA/Tennessee River Watershed begins in SWVA with all three forks of he Holston River and the Clinch River. I think it should be included since most of the weather is tied to the rest of the Ridge and Valley geographic region. The divide somewhere around i-77. Everything east of there flows into the New River Valley.

At the end of the river valley is a good demarcation line... anyway back to the topic at hand no more off topic entries I promise. :popcorn:

swvawatersheds.png

Trying to learn and understand models along with a huge desire for a snowstorm. I will still be floating around afterward I can assure you. Even when things are mild and sunny for weeks at a time haha.

If you figure them out let the rest of us know! I'm a 54 year old with a degree in meteorology and I couldn't make heads or tails out of them this week.

In the past I have watched the GFS greater than 10 days out. It can usually sniff out a patern and give you an idea something may happen. Within 10 days the Euro is usually best at nailing the track. Within 48 hours I like the nam.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Well I think Carver is in SWVA near Kingsport. Technically, the Tennessee River is one of the key geographic features that defines the Tennessee Valley. The TVA/Tennessee River Watershed begins in SWVA with all three forks of the Holston River and the Clinch River. I think it should be included since most of the weather is tied to the rest of the Ridge and Valley geographic region. The divide somewhere around i-77. Everything east of there flows into the New River Valley.

I've live in VA just across the state line and I have posted here for years. I experience nearly the same weather as NETN/ Tri-Cities. I would say 90% of my weather comes from Tennessee in some fashion. The Holston River is very close and me is apart of the TN Valley river shed. I post here because of the same reasons that our forum was created. The Southeast forum would ignore us simply because of the geographic reasons.

Anyways the newest RAP and HRRR has backed off totals just ever so slightly.

7 minutes ago, rbowman said:

If you figure them out let the rest of us know! I'm a 54 year old with a degree in meteorology and I couldn't make heads or tails out of them this week.

In the past I have watched the GFS greater than 10 days out. It can usually sniff out a patern and give you an idea something may happen. Within 10 days the Euro is usually best at nailing the track. Within 48 hours I like the nam.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Good to have ya here. 

Reports in Cullman, AL north of Birmingham of half dollar size flakes. Wrecks all over Birmingham. Hopefully we all get to see some half dollar flakes.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Showtime is here for the Tuscaloosa to Birmingham corridor!

a66ecad34b11dcfa8e723d4bcc75fa98.png

Snow should be beginning to fill in along the southern valley close to Cleveland and Chattanooga.

85f5518360f80c056b0868de429634b2.png

I'll give a little plug for RadarScope. Its mainly used for severe season but it is nice to have for events like this. $10 may be too much for most people but what it gives you it is worth it.

Just off topic for a second, Mr. Bob is the moderator. If you think SWVA should be officially included in the description of the Tennessee Valley forum, let him know. I think it makes sense geographically and climatologically speaking. I don't think the Southeast Forum will care. Consider how CAD events, backdoor fronts and how in general other varying degrees of weather phenomenon differ on both sides of the Blue Ridge Divide more often than not; furthermore, the headwater boundaries of the TVA, I'd say including SWVA officially in this forum should be considered. There is a thread pinned for forum issues by Mr. Bob where this can be further discussed.

2 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Just off topic for a second, Mr. Bob is the moderator. If you think SWVA should be officially included in the description of the Tennessee Valley forum, let him know. I think it makes sense geographically and climatologically speaking. I don't think the Southeast Forum will care. Consider how CAD events, backdoor fronts and how in general other varying degrees of weather phenomenon differ on both sides of the Blue Ridge Divide more often than not; and, furthermore, the headwater boundaries of the TVA, I'd say including SWVA officially in this forum should be considered. There is a thread pinned for forum issues by Mr. Bob where this can be further discussed.

thank you. I may prepare a statement.

The upper level feature does seem to be pulling and enhancing the precip over AL now.  If you watch the radar loop provided by Stove, it seems to almost be changing the orientation of the precip field, or pulling it more northeastward, instead of east-northeast. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived