joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the updates everyone. I'm working nights this week and have been out of the loop. Hopefully we get a little surprise in the Chattanooga area. We live in Ooltewah now so maybe we can at least squeeze an inch out of this .

Oh, 1 more thing, How's it been shaking Stovepipe? I got out of weather forum hibernation for the Winter! Hope all is well.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Thanks for the updates everyone. I'm working nights this week and have been out of the loop. Hopefully we get a little surprise in the Chattanooga area. We live in Ooltewah now so maybe we can at least squeeze an inch out of this .

Oh, 1 more thing, How's it been shaking Stovepipe? I got out of weather forum hibernation for the Winter! Hope all is well.

Hey Nasty!  Going pretty good man, great to see you.  I told the forum you'd be making everyone margaritas if Chatt gets an inch!  :guitar:

This is going to definitely be a super cold snow event for you guys that get it, with temps in the upper 10s tonight in the heavy snow areas. Powder will pile up for you guys. 

I'm going to hold out hope for another inch but won't be surprised if I don't get any additional snow, even with the 1-3 inch advisory here. 

3 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

Hey Nasty!  Going pretty good man, great to see you.  I told the forum you'd be making everyone margaritas if Chatt gets an inch!  :guitar:

Sounds good! With the cold temps I think straight shots might even work better! Ok, no more banter from me. Don't mean to derail. Carry on!:D

There's probably going to be areas where you get 5 inches on one side of the county and 2 on the other. Knox may be a prime area for that. Deep west Knox could be at 2-3 while far east is at 4-6. I'm just hoping I can get another 1-2 inches. I'd be satisfied. Enjoy it to the max, everyone who does get it. It may not happen again this month.

MRX afternoon disco

000 FXUS64 KMRX 062039 AFDMRX Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Morristown TN 339 PM EST Fri Jan 6 2017 .SHORT TERM /THIS EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY/... A very complex forecast this afternoon as a significant winter storm continues to approach the region from the southwest. There is still a great deal of uncertainty with the exact track of this system, which will have a big impact on total snowfall. What is certain is that most areas will likely see an inch or two of snow at minimum, with areas along and west of the I-75 corridor potentially seeing a few to perhaps several inches more. The development of the wintry precipitation tonight is tied to a fast moving longwave trough over the Southern Plains that will quickly shift into the MS/TN Valleys overnight. This will bring a broad area of snow, with some bands producing locally heavier snow squalls along the mountains. The area most likely to experience these conditions will be the East Tennessee and Southwest North Carolina Mountains and their surrounding foothills, where between 3 to 8 inches of snow will be common by Saturday morning. In the Valley the forecast is much tricker. Models are still showing a plume of moisture moving in late this evening through the overnight hours. Highest confidence is counties along and east of the I-75 and I-81 corridors where a Winter Storm Warning is in place. There, amounts in the 3 to 5 or 3 to 6 inch range are possible overnight. However, there will be a very sharp gradient as you head west as drier air moves on the back side. Locations along the Plateau may only see an inch, but it may quickly increase as you head east of I-75. A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for all other locations. Regardless of how much snow accumulates, the subfreezing temperatures in place will allow any snow that falls to stick, creating very hazardous travel conditions on untreated and secondary roads. Travel is discouraged if it can be avoided overnight. Drier air will quickly move in from the west by sunrise as winds increase. This will dip wind chills along the mountains of East TN, SW VA and the Plateau to dangerously cold levels (in the -5 to -10 degree range). Thus, a Wind Chill Advisory has been issued for those areas from 09-18z on Saturday. Bitter cold highs are expected under northerly flow with subfreezing air in place, only peaking in the teens and 20s. Needlessly to say, secondary roads will remain hazardous through most of the day tomorrow.

Feeling pumped over my way, but I hope as many as possible in this forum get a good thump of snow tonight.  I THINK I'm sitting in a good place in eastern Sevier Co.  I had one wave come through about 2 hours ago and lay a good coating of white down.

A friend just dropped off a little happy water for me...so I'm ready!  :thumbsup:  The only thing that would make it perfect would be timing.  It's much more fun to watch a snowstorm during the day, cause you can actually see it!  I'll have all my porch lights turned on for sure.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived