Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RGEM is pretty close to what it looks like right now, it may be a little underdone on the east side though, so it probably has a pretty good handle on the situation. MRX said the HRRR was pretty accurate too. Those are 2 good models for short term anyway. The HRRR looks good to my eye also.

9 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

A little south of the main forum area but I've seen some posters asking about Birmingham. Some nice snow bands which almost looks convective in nature is rolling thru Mississippi and heading that way. I'd love to know what's going on under that band.

79118a46dd1f8d0492e7127d3fa588b4.png

That area keeps back filling into LA also...Good signs

18 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

A little south of the main forum area but I've seen some posters asking about Birmingham. Some nice snow bands which almost looks convective in nature is rolling thru Mississippi and heading that way. I'd love to know what's going on under that band.

That's some heavy stuff and despite the dangers because the south has been warned I hope they get it. I know I would.

2 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

gfs moving way to fast and still south and under performing id say.

snku_acc_us_ov.png

Lol looks like the GFS is playing catch up to the placement of the L. It's still south, but you can tell it came north that time. Look at how much further up into Florida the low is and how much closer to the Coast it is once it scoots out. 

The modeling went away from the backing at 6z, but that might have been a blip.  More backing, a little stronger low, and a healthier precip shield on the northwest side will likely create a pretty good snow in parts of east TN.  The problem with this one will remain, there will be a pretty sharp cut off from east to west - especially around the Knoxville area.  I hope the budding precip this evening overperforms for our area like the snow this morning in west and middle TN.  Would make for a pretty happy forum.

We also need to get those in MS, AL, and north GA some snow.  Those areas will be hit or miss, but probably has more potential for a period of beautiful and heavy wet snow.  All in all a MAJOR storm system is unfolding.  Good luck everyone!

5 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

The modeling went away from the backing at 6z, but that might have been a blip.  More backing, a little stronger low, and a healthier precip shield on the northwest side will likely create a pretty good snow in parts of east TN.  The problem with this one will remain, there will be a pretty sharp cut off from east to west - especially around the Knoxville area.  I hope the budding precip this evening overperforms for our area like the snow this morning in west and middle TN.  Would make for a pretty happy forum.

We also need to get those in MS, AL, and north GA some snow.  Those areas will be hit or miss, but probably has more potential for a period of beautiful and heavy wet snow.  All in all a MAJOR storm system is unfolding.  Good luck everyone!

As the models have shifted all over the place I have seen joy and despair and everything in between this is the first storm I have ever watched go through while seeing this forum in action. I must say it is best described with two words hopeful and unpredictable until right up to the very storm it is predicting. What a journey over a work week!

28 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

Congrats to those in Knoxville and west getting the snow. I have maybe a quarter inch here. A heavy dusting and looks like its tapering off. Roads are just wet no snow. Maybe I can make up for it tonight.

Hey, better than what we got south of the band--south of Dandridge.  NADA!  lol

Like you, hoping for a big score tonight.  Too bad it has to fall overnight.  Snow is much more enjoyable to watch during the daytime.

7 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

I can't remember the last storm I tracked that didn't have a warm nose possibility to screw it up?  That, in and of itself is pretty remarkable for our area.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Feb. 2011 was a really nice storm for us that was cold from the get go with no worries. We had a few hours of virga, but once it started coming down it began accumulating immediately. 

1 hour ago, 1234snow said:

Snow & sleet mixed -heavier around Jackson area. Ground is beginning to get covered.

54 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Thanks from us here in MS. WSW just issued for South and Central areas for possibility of 1/2 inch sleet/ice and up to 2 inches of snow beginning mid afternoon until midnight! Fingers crossed!!!

4 minutes ago, Tucker1027 said:

I have no clue about Chattanooga y'all. Maybe an inch or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my thinking also. I'm afraid that the cutoff is going to be right over the city. East of the TN river (and especially east of I-75) you could see around 2", but west of the river it may be only a dusting. South towards Dalton and east towards Cleveland it seems like 3" will be possible. 

That's my thinking also. I'm afraid that the cutoff is going to be right over the city. East of the TN river (and especially east of I-75) you could see around 2", but west of the river it may be only a dusting. South towards Dalton and east towards Cleveland it seems like 3" will be possible. 

This storm just reminds me of the one in 2014 where we were suppose to get around 2 inches and got 6 to 7. I think we have the possibility of 3-4 ish

7 minutes ago, Tucker1027 said:

This storm just reminds me of the one in 2014 where we were suppose to get around 2 inches and got 6 to 7. I think we have the possibility of 3-4 ish

We had a trowal form right in the valley in that event. That is my favorite event since the superstorm. Saw lightning and extremely heavy rates. I don't believe we have upper air support for formation of a similar feature this time. The 850 low isn't organized until the system moves well to the east of us.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived