Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

6 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Not to keep this topic going as it probably belongs in banter but I want to throw my 2 cents in for the better or worse.  Local TV mets can absolutely disagree with NWS, and  I respect that actually.  TV mets can bust and it be egg on their faces, when the NWS busts there is much much more criticism.  I also want to remind those who have followed MRX discos for years on this and other forums while following models and weather that MRX Morning and Afternoon shifts are generally pretty conservative, while overnight has a tendency to be a bit more liberal.  So this was shocking to me to see come out of the afternoon shift at MRX.  That said, their analog they give was a bad situation for many who were not expecting the type of road conditions that we experienced in many areas.  I lived in Michigan for a large part of my life that storm they give the analog for really brought back flashbacks to living up north, in that the snow while it was light every flake accumulated and was immediately packed to hard as concrete packed snow on a lot of roads which is not something we deal with in winter storms so often down here.  This was really a product of the prolonged below freezing temps for longer than 24 hours prior to that event, this storm does have hallmarks of that and for some will likely begin before leaving home from work and school, just as that one did.  I say to get attention they made the right call, and can scale back to WWA tomorrow if becomes a non-event but at least they got the word out that it is a possibility that this could be really bad at commute time tomorrow.  

Well said and I agree 100%.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stovepipe said:

The Memphis area will be pushing 2 inches 10:1 by 16z tomorrow according to the latest HRRR.

Thanks for mentioning that stovepipe, I like what I hear!  It's been almost two years since our last solid snow storm so I'm pretty pumped.  I hope everyone across the forum can score a good one.

Key for East Tennessee is to get that 850 mb low to gin up in time. One can look at the 500 mb chart and vorticity to see part of what is driving different forecasts. In addition to the main PVA over Tennessee, a weaker sheared out vorticity lobe tracks through the Deep South. It is quite elongated and weak, but plays an important role. Deep South feature needs to keep up with the main PVA to gin up the 850 mb low in time.

Models are struggling a little bit because of the subtle feature, and the main system is already positively tilted anyway. Really from a physics standpoint the models are doing fine. Going back several days, the consistency from the long term is better than average. Easy to get frustrated being on the borderline, but the physics is also borderline.

Just in time 850 mb low, pattern recognition says forecast little if any snow for CHA. Knoxville to TRI is still in the game iff the 850 mb low can get going.

West and Middle Tennessee still have a chance of lighter snow during the day Friday, but will have to moisten the low levels. Different regions have different questions...

2 minutes ago, Tucker1027 said:

21z Sref Plumes .....

1st picture - KCHA 

2nd picture- TYS 

3rd picture - TRI 

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 8.35.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 8.36.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 8.37.12 PM.png

There is your indication of what the NAM will likely look like.   CHA mean at 5 inches now, with a big dog at 18"....  TYS mean 7.5" big dog at 17"...  Hmmm...  Are we being NAM'd?

15 minutes ago, Tucker1027 said:

21z Sref Plumes .....

1st picture - KCHA 

2nd picture- TYS 

3rd picture - TRI 

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 8.35.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 8.36.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 8.37.12 PM.png

Interesting, it almost looks binomial distributed for TYS, at least to my newbie eyes.  Dissapointed to read that Mark Reynolds stated he believed east tn to miss the heavy stuff (as of his fb post two hrs ago), called for 2 inches

1 hour ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Not to keep this topic going as it probably belongs in banter but I want to throw my 2 cents in for the better or worse.  Local TV mets can absolutely disagree with NWS, and  I respect that actually.  TV mets can bust and it be egg on their faces, when the NWS busts there is much much more criticism.  I also want to remind those who have followed MRX discos for years on this and other forums while following models and weather that MRX Morning and Afternoon shifts are generally pretty conservative, while overnight has a tendency to be a bit more liberal.  So this was shocking to me to see come out of the afternoon shift at MRX.  That said, their analog they give was a bad situation for many who were not expecting the type of road conditions that we experienced in many areas.  I lived in Michigan for a large part of my life that storm they give the analog for really brought back flashbacks to living up north, in that the snow while it was light every flake accumulated and was immediately packed to hard as concrete packed snow on a lot of roads which is not something we deal with in winter storms so often down here.  This was really a product of the prolonged below freezing temps for longer than 24 hours prior to that event, this storm does have hallmarks of that and for some will likely begin before leaving home from work and school, just as that one did.  I say to get attention they made the right call, and can scale back to WWA tomorrow if becomes a non-event but at least they got the word out that it is a possibility that this could be really bad at commute time tomorrow.  

I will just add that NWS works a pretty brutal rotation so time of day should not really matter as opposed to specific met as they all work all the shifts. They HAVE to put an opinion out unlike anyone else so it will always be open to scrutiny, and I respect that totally. Their mission is also different so sometimes we will just have to disagree...

Thinking the NAM is going to be way over amped. To a point where I don't think it's realistic at all. It's gonna phasing a bomb up the coast. Only thing actually makes sense is some of the SREF members in the Atlanta area actually went down. So a stronger storm pulling in a little WAA in that area seems realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived