Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, st116 said:

Guys, I have seen some recent consistent inconsistencies as we draw closer. Any clues about why the models in general are struggling? I told a friend this storm may be the Donald Trump of the election. Most of the consensus was Hillary, but as it drew closer, Donald pulled it out. 

The Russians

58 minutes ago, Boknows34 said:

Yea...What's up with that ugly tongue going into Chattanooga???

Energy transfer to the coastal low. It has ruined many snows for Chattanooga before. Could easily ruin this one as well. I would hate to be MRX right now. The models are all over the place.

1 minute ago, BlunderStorm said:

QUESTION: Moderate snowfall has been detected by radar over my area for well over an hour yet there is no real precipitation. I wonder what the cause of the false radar echoes is.

False radar echoes.png

Just not hitting the ground more than likely. 

2 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

QUESTION: Moderate snowfall has been detected by radar over my area for well over an hour yet there is no real precipitation. I wonder what the cause of the false radar echoes is.

False radar echoes.png

Virga, once the air saturates precip will reach the ground 

2 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

False radar echoes.png

Dry air. The column is not saturated enough to allow the snow to reach the ground.

9 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

Thanks for the quick explanation guys. ;)

Your welcome. This is the best forum for weather out there! I learn a lot everytime there is a threat for a snowstorm. We actually see this process of virga quite a bit during wintertime and sometimes other season events, although it is painful to watch a nice fetch of moisture glide on by without effects, it is a normal process.

Friday night we have a just-in-time 850 mb low forecast. For Chattanooga, that means too late, lol! Could really be just in time farther east...

From the top down, the 500 mb and vorticity chart shows more energy swinging through the Deep South which does help the 850 low develop over upstate SC. Yes some 850 mb frontal forcing develops. Looks like the 850 developments are associated with the transfer to the coast, a challenge for southeast Tenn.

TRI is farthest east with the most time cushion to work with while the 850 situation organizes. However Knoxvegas is closer to that 850 low. 

North Mississippi through North Alabama will be watching an earlier wave on Friday, very tough forecast there at almost the mesoscale. 

20 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

Ah Reb and I saw it at the same time. 

Too bad it's not saturated too. This is a waste of good precip. Looks a lot like our 1-3in clippers of the last couple years. 

Yeh I don't see us getting anything from the first wave at least in the Knoxville area hope I am wrong, but it seems very dry.  Maybe we can cash in on the second wave.

How does the Euro look guys? It's out to 48 on Tropical Tidbits, but it's almost hard to tell anything from the limited info you can discern from it. At 48 hrs the low looks like it could be closer to the SC coast than it was before. Possibly meaning a slight northward jog?

1 minute ago, Jed33 said:

How does the Euro look guys? It's out to 48 on Tropical Tidbits, but it's almost hard to tell anything from the limited info you can discern from it. At 48 hrs the low looks like it could be closer to the SC coast than it was before. Possibly meaning a slight northward jog?

to quote the southeast forum its 50-150 miles nw 0z run

• Mr Bob changed the title to 1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived