joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is the Nam 3km model with Kuchera snowfall totals at hour 50, with snow showers still lurking. While probably too good to be true, it's tantalizing to think about.

Screenshot (2).png

Totals don't necessarily matter at this point but the fact this showed almost nothing last night does matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12Z GFS had a slightly larger precip shield. Looking at the differences in it and 06Z I see what Carver was talking about in regards to the low digging a little further south in NM. The 12Z appears it dug a little deeper in NM. I could be wrong though. Still learning things every year. This is a stressful but fun hobby for sure

20 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

12Z GFS had a slightly larger precip shield. Looking at the differences in it and 06Z I see what Carver was talking about in regards to the low digging a little further south in NM. The 12Z appears it dug a little deeper in NM. I could be wrong though. Still learning things every year. This is a stressful but fun hobby for sure

You can look back at a post I had about the trough axis and see it change.  Now, the "why" to that post I did not see at the time.  The guys in the SE forum have a better eye for spotting those trends well before the energy even gets to the point where I can draw an axis.  A couple of those folks know (within the first twelve hours of a run) if it is going to dig.  The more it digs, the closer it gets to neutral tilt.  How much each model does that has big implications.  Less digging and it slides south of Delaware.  More and it gets to Boston.  The vorticity maps have a lot of that info.  700 I think.

5 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

You can look back at a post I had about the trough axis and see it change.  Now, the "why" to that post I did not see at the time.  The guys in the SE forum have a better eye for spotting those trends well before the energy even gets to the point where I can draw an axis.  A couple of those folks know (within the first twelve hours of a run) if it is going to dig.  The more it digs, the closer it gets to neutral tilt.  How much each model does that has big implications.  Less digging and it slides south of Delaware.  More and it gets to Boston.  The vorticity maps have a lot of tha info.  700 I think.

Ah yes I see where that would be the case. Thanks Carver

Also, for a met or someone in the know...is it possible that the Canadian or American suite has newer model data or do they draw from the same source at the same time?  Really, the models are not very far apart when thinking of things on a global scale.  They are just a hair different.  What is the saying, "Football is a game of inches?"  Doesn't take much to swing these. Anyone want to see which initialized better of the two short range and long range models?

Guys, I have seen some recent consistent inconsistencies as we draw closer. Any clues about why the models in general are struggling? I told a friend this storm may be the Donald Trump of the election. Most of the consensus was Hillary, but as it drew closer, Donald pulled it out. 

• Mr Bob changed the title to 1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived