Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Coach B said:

Big jump for northern Miss and AL as well. Its keying on the secondary wave coming in thru OK and AR. We've seen it on some of the other models, but the GFS really beefed up that wave this run. 

Wow...quite the gradient from very little snow in western Knox Co. to 3-4 inches in Jefferson and Sevier County and points east. Just another slight northwest jog and much more of the valley will be in play. 

18z GFS..It does not look like the weak slp came north as much as much as the precip shield expanded northwest.  The flow is buckled just a bit more.  If anything it is a tick stronger w the third and trailing piece of energy that streaks (I know...) across the mid-south and catches the energy in the GOM.

21 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

18z GFS..It does not look like the weak slp came north as much as much as the precip shield expanded northwest.  The flow is buckled just a bit more.  If anything it is a tick stronger w the third and trailing piece of energy that streaks (I know...) across the mid-south and catches the energy in the GOM.

It's came around 100 miles N/W through today's runs from as close as I can tell. Slowed a bit too. 

12 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

Anyone have the gefs ensembles snow maps

GEFS mean has essentially plateau east at a minimum of 2" or more further east.  Thats 10:1, and it really would be 12-15:1.  Would say if going by GEFS mean with higher ratio it would be more like 1-3" Nashville to Plateau, and 2-4" Plateau east.

GEFS Members.jpg

2 minutes ago, Reb said:

Anyone remember a storm turning more NW as it happens? I recall this happening several times but don't have the dates handy 

The storm 2 years ago when Chatty got 10" is a good example.  Was originally going to be a glancing blow with little accumulation then before the night was over Winter Storm Warnings were issued for the entire MRX CWA, with NWS calling for up to a foot in the valley in places.

Anyone remember a storm turning more NW as it happens? I recall this happening several times but don't have the dates handy 

2 years ago, 1st of February Knoxville was set up for a 8-12" snow and inside 48 hours we went to a sleet/ice storm because of NW trend of at least 100 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Mr Bob changed the title to 1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived