joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great disco folks! MRX has released a SWS for all of east TN and parts of SW VA for the event. That seems reasonable given the recent (and usual) model fluctuations. Still time to adjust as needed.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Morristown TN
432 AM EST Wed Jan 4 2017

NCZ060-061-TNZ012>018-035>047-067>074-081>087-098>102-VAZ001-002-
005-006-008-041745-
Cherokee-Clay-Scott TN-Campbell-Claiborne-Hancock-Hawkins-
Sullivan-Johnson-Morgan-Anderson-Union-Grainger-Hamblen-
Northwest Cocke-Cocke Smoky Mountains-Northwest Greene-
Southeast Greene-Washington TN-Unicoi-Northwest Carter-
Southeast Carter-Roane-Loudon-Knox-Jefferson-NW Blount-
Blount Smoky Mountains-North Sevier-Sevier Smoky Mountains-
Sequatchie-Bledsoe-Rhea-Meigs-McMinn-Northwest Monroe-
Southeast Monroe-Marion-Hamilton-Bradley-West Polk-East Polk-Lee-
Wise-Scott-Russell-Washington-
Including the cities of...Murphy...Hayesville...Oneida...
La Follette...Tazewell...Sneedville...Rogersville...Kingsport...
Bristol...Mountain City...Wartburg...Clinton...Oak Ridge...
Maynardville...Rutledge...Morristown...Newport...Cosby...
Greeneville...Cedar Creek...Johnson City...Erwin...Elizabethton...
Roan Mountain...Kingston...Lenoir City...Knoxville...Dandridge...
Maryville...Cades Cove...Sevierville...Gatlinburg...Dunlap...
Pikeville...Dayton...Decatur...Athens...Madisonville...
Coker Creek...Jasper...Chattanooga...Cleveland...Benton...
Ducktown...Jonesville...Wise...Norton...Gate City...Lebanon...
Abingdon
432 AM EST Wed Jan 4 2017 /332 AM CST Wed Jan 4 2017/

...Winter Weather Expected Across The Area Thursday Evening
Through Friday...

An arctic airmass will move into the area Thursday evening ushering
in some accumulating snow and much colder temperatures.

Starting Thursday evening and ending Friday night, areas of
southwest Virginia and higher elevations of northeast Tennessee
could expect to see snowfall accumulations of 1 to 3 inches.
Elsewhere across the area north of I-40 totals of 1-2 inches are
possible while southeast Tennessee and southwest North Carolina
will likely see only a dusting to 1 inch of snow.

This SWS is enough to warn the masses and not send most of them into a panic. However if you're going to a grocery store within the next 48 hours, it might not seem that way! Thanks to Carver's, John, Jax, Mr Bob, Jeff and all y'all for the great posts on this system! Good luck to all! 

12 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

That is promising, looks real good for everyone east of Lebanon.  Now if we can get that blue to extend into west Tennessee all the way then I will be really happy.  Overall, it does look better for us all this morning though,. That is promising.

That's not the latest run I don't believe.

One thing I noticed from the 0z euro was an uptick in individual members that have 6+ for parts of east TN.   More members don't look like the OP at this point so still a TON of uncertainty, but the mean is 1.5 to 2.5 across a good chunk of the state, less west and more the further east you go. At least many are still in the "game"....

IMG_4482.PNG

Nice discussion lately folks!  I've been occupied with other things but have been lurking.  I think this is shaping up to be a decent event for a chunk of the subforum.  12z might tell the tale.  Current SREF mean is at 2 inches for TYS.  It's nice to see that EPS mean beefing up for east TN.  Canadian is rocking, just need the stubborn GFS to ease our way.  Good luck everyone!  

6 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Just curious but Do you think it will trend better statewide??

The biggest problem for West Tennessee is the first wave looks to mostly miss north and east and the second wave looks to be a late bloomer, if at all. That would also largely be a miss for West Tennessee.  That said, weather will do what weather wants to do. Let's see what clues 12Z gives us 

11 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

12z NAM at hour 45 showing a first wave thump.  Nothing major but that wasn't there previously.

Edit:  Correction, 6z had it but previous runs did not.

a3WfiXn.jpg

Need the first wave to overachieve here in Middle TN.  Dusting to 1" would at least get me on the board.  I think weekend system will still come back north a little more but it doesn't really look to get going until it's east of here.

Shoot these models will be changing all day, By the end of the Day it will look completely different.

I don't think it will look a lot different. I do believe the NAM is under doing the precip and I strongly believe all will continue to inch to the NW with each run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Shoot these models will be changing all day, By the end of the Day it will look completely different.

I really think the last chance for bigger changes occurs with 12Z, and even that is a Hail Mary .....hoping the shortwave isn't being sampled properly. 

The writing is pretty much on the wall, but small differences from here on out mean everything. In reality , The higher bust potential is with East Tennessee. 

I could live with a NW trend, LOL.  When I said different I did not mean it in a bad way for anybody though.  I just meant I still think this system has some surprises in store for us all, Hopefully good surprises.   Has anybody started to track the system as it comes ashore in Cali?  I looked at it last night and it looked like it was going to make landfall between San Francisco and Eureka, CA.  Central to lower colorado is going to get bombed with heavy snow is what I noticed too, Showed that it may stretch down into Albuquerque as well. 

12z RGEM looking sexy.  Nice first wave thump then the second wave attacks TN from the south west at hour 48 with good coverage.  Not sure about amounts, clown is still processing on tidbits.

Almost all mods are working towards the same solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stove, glad you posted that.  Here is the IR of that run.  I have been checking around this morning.  The winter storm warnings in California are posted until Thursday AM.  They are expecting over 2' at the highest elevations and are dealing with flooding at lower elevations.  The problem that I see when just watching a loop of the West coast, there is a ton of energy rolling into the Sierra Nevada and Mountain West, just wave after wave.  It makes sense when you look at the RGEM to see wave after wave roll East.  I count three pieces of energy that could impact our forum area.  It is possible that it splits the area as well.  As many have mentioned in this AM's conversation, still plenty on the table for snows in the 1-3" range in E TN at least.  Now, what Stove posted is the 12z RGEM and it has the third piece of energy.  It is no wonder the models are struggling.  The energy is strung out and interacts with the northern streams to varying degrees.   The first wave roles over the top of the ridge and impacts mainly the eastern half of TN north of I40.  Some models try to build a southern component by having that first piece of energy trail and connect with the second piece.  The second piece is much further south as the trough and blocking push it south. Eventually, the third piece is pushed out and catches the second piece.  There may even be one more piece after that unless it just fizzles in the southern Rockies.  I guess to sum up...this is coming out in pieces and not one big chunk.  If one of those pieces stalls in the GOM...that is the piece to watch.  Below, you can see three of those pieces on the modeled IR image.  The first piece is exiting the region.

IMG_0317.PNG

• Mr Bob changed the title to 1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived