Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.

John1122

23 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Wouldn't a stronger system pull it a little more north?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powell, I was just thinking this.  If this is a Miller A-ish...it could IMO.  The other thing is that almost all models have driven the Arctic boundary too deep into the South this winter.  Sometimes these Pacific systems are tough for the models because they have less data than say a northern system dropping into a trough that has been sampled well over Canada.  Also, I like the latitude rule that where the system enters on the w coast is where it leaves on the EC.  Still waiting for this to come ashore and then I think things get sorted out....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last winter(or the one before) we had systems that looked like sliders that would traverse through the northern tier of the Gulf states.  They would intensify at the last minute and a shadow would pull west of the Apps. We would get a warm nose and snow totals were cut.  Just a good example of stronger systems pull northward. Not saying this pulls west of the Apps at all.  So, if stronger it pulls northward IMO.  Who knows if the NAM is right.  It does have a habit IMO at over-amping systems at this range.  That might explain the orthward jog.

8 hours ago, Chinook said:

Yep, I just checked the 00z Euro, and it does have 1-3" for eastern Tennessee, and the huge blizzard for NC you are seeing on the -clown- map posted above is really in the Euro output. As usual, 5+ day predictions of snow are pretty difficult. As you weather fans know, many times in past years, sleet/freezing rain affect AL/GA/SC/NC/VA when there was -supposed- to be a snowstorm.

Chinook, thanks for adding your input last night.  Much appreciated.

Hello everyone!  Longtime member here.  Just a winter weather lover and read to learn so I don't post very often.  I know most everyone in this forum are from The Carolinas, Tennessee, and few from Alabama and Georgia which, of course, is covered extensively.  Mississippi is usually not involved in too many exciting weather events (except for the April 28, 2014 tornado which devasted out little town - hope we never experience that again!!!)  I am in East Central Mississippi and would appreciate it if y'all would include our area in your discussion if this continues to look like we may get in on a little accumulation.  Enjoy learning from you guys!  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Snow Wisher said:

Hello everyone!  Longtime member here.  Just a winter weather lover and read to learn so I don't post very often.  I know most everyone in this forum are from The Carolinas, Tennessee, and few from Alabama and Georgia which, of course, is covered extensively.  Mississippi is usually not involved in too many exciting weather events (except for the April 28, 2014 tornado which devasted out little town - hope we never experience that again!!!)  I am in East Central Mississippi and would appreciate it if y'all would include our area in your discussion if this continues to look like we may get in on a little accumulation.  Enjoy learning from you guys!  Thanks!

Great to see the members from the southern range of our forum participating.  I am sure folks will try to mention this ares since you mentioned it.

26 minutes ago, Snow Wisher said:

As of now you look to be in a good spot on most model runs. Canadian was big for you guys and you're far enough south to be in a good spot on the GFS with it's sudden change to a waaaay south system. Though you might even be close to the northern edge if the GFS were to be true.

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

As of now you look to be in a good spot on most model runs. Canadian was big for you guys and you're far enough south to be in a good spot on the GFS with it's sudden change to a waaaay south system. Though you might even be close to the northern edge if the GFS were to be true.

Yep!  As many have said though kinda scares me to be in a good spot at this point in time! Watching and waiting! 

Just now, Mrwolf1972 said:

Gdps 

snku_acc.us_ov.png

That map looks better for all of us, You east Tennessee folks look real nice on that run as well.  Hopefully we can get more of that to show on the western half off the state as well.  Those models to alarm me a little bit though just on the southern fringe off the storm though.  It goes from nearly nothing to 4+ inches very quickly down near Jackson Miss, Might be something to keep an eye on as we move closer.

1 hour ago, Snow Wisher said:

Actually, you certainly are not alone there are a lot of people like us. Coming to you from Southwest Virginia! Technically still in the Tennessee Valley. I find this region a lot more relatable than the southeast sub-forum region. Just created an account though I have been through the forums for a while as a guest.

2 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

That map looks better for all of us, You east Tennessee folks look real nice on that run as well.  Hopefully we can get more of that to show on the western half off the state as well.  Those models to alarm me a little bit though just on the southern fringe off the storm though.  It goes from nearly nothing to 4+ inches very quickly down near Jackson Miss, Might be something to keep an eye on as we move closer.

Just have to see where it goes, I've seen the GFS pull this before, sending everything waaaaay south, only to have it spend the last 48 hours before a storm adjusting majorly. There are tiny players all over the place that cause track changes. The Canadian interacts with a LP over the Great Lakes and gets pulled more north, that may be what causes the UKIE to go more north as well.

• Mr Bob changed the title to 1/5/17-1/8/17 Southern System.
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived