Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

This stuff is actually a bear to clean up. It's dense to start with (powdery, yes, but relatively low SLRs), and then the blowing/drifting just cements it all in. 2.5 hours with the Kubota and 28" snowblower and I still have work to do in the morning. Definitely a mistake to wait until the end before clearing.

That's why I do it so frequently. My wife thinks it's so I can end up with towering snowbanks, that's part of it ;) but constant clearing is actually easier than one shot.

3 hours ago, Morris said:

Sleet has no where to compact....

But it compresses the snow underneath.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I have trouble with file size all the time on here. I know many use other sites like photobucket and then just post the link here. I found on my iPhone if I screen shot the photo I can then post that without trouble 

No like the "choose file" or "insert other media" functions gone from site for me

4 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Notice little white dot over my house :) (south Ulster) 

anyway, had to clear cookies and cache for some reason, site was glitching 

IMG_2606.JPG

That 26" in southern Duchess looks suspicious.  That is practically over my house and there is no way I had 26". I would say 20" max.

3 minutes ago, Radders said:

That 26" in southern Duchess looks suspicious.  That is practically over my house and there is no way I had 26". I would say 20" max.

You know in these big events there are a lot of suspicious measurements due to the wind, the public just sticking a yardstick into whatever they see and going with the biggest measurement and folks that feel a need to jackpot.  

One side of my front yard is 8-10", the other is 15-18" and the side of the house is over 30".  I think the front yard blew to the side.  No good way to measure that...  Most of the backyard has settled out to 13-14" and everything has a really heavy 3" thick crust on it weighing the whole thing down.  After taking a really good look at it I don't think all of that frozen stuff yesterday was sleet, some was graupel but mostly it was frozen grains.  I should have looked at it more closely when it was falling and I would have known but it sure felt like heavier pellets when it was getting drilled into my face and it sure sounded like sleet.

Nice light snow falling now.

33 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

You know in these big events there are a lot of suspicious measurements due to the wind, the public just sticking a yardstick into whatever they see and going with the biggest measurement and folks that feel a need to jackpot.  

Smack them with their yardsticks and teach them a lesson on how to measure.:grad: 

Well, after melting two core samples (procured last night and left to melt overnight), I verified my liquid equivalent yesterday at 2.52". That's a ratio of under 7:1 which is pretty abysmal and a major waste of one of the wettest pure frozen storms in recent memory. I only had pingers mixed in for a few brief moments under the dryslot, so yeah... ratios were simply that bad. It seems like the models actually had a good grasp on QPF as several local observers had over 3" of liquid for the event.

8 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Well, after melting two core samples (procured last night and left to melt overnight), I verified my liquid equivalent yesterday at 2.52". That's a ratio of under 7:1 which is pretty abysmal and a major waste of one of the wettest pure frozen storms in recent memory. I only had pingers mixed in for a few brief moments under the dryslot, so yeah... ratios were simply that bad. It seems like the models actually had a good grasp on QPF as several local observers had over 3" of liquid for the event.

I'm pretty sure I saw the same ratio reported in the NNE thread up in Maine.  You could tell when clearing it that the ratios were not the best around here.  I wonder what they were further upstate to our NW.  

I believe it.  Looks like we're on course to break 20 consecutive months above normal in a pretty dramatic fashion.  I expected to have two more weeks before I needed heating oil but ran out at 2am last night.  Good thing I had pulled in a load of firewood before the storm so it would be dry.  Of course our oil company doesn't have a truck coming through this neighborhood until Friday so it's $2.79/gal diesel until then.

35 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I believe it.  Looks like we're on course to break 20 consecutive months above normal in a pretty dramatic fashion.  I expected to have two more weeks before I needed heating oil but ran out at 2am last night.  Good thing I had pulled in a load of firewood before the storm so it would be dry.  Of course our oil company doesn't have a truck coming through this neighborhood until Friday so it's $2.79/gal diesel until then.

Yeah, it's seriously deep winter out there with wind chills in the single digits. Some of the draftiest wx all season.

Saturday has a shot at being more interesting than most are expecting. There's a decent banding signature for when the occluded front starts getting repurposed as an inverted trough from the coastal low after what could be a brief but meaningful burst of WAA precip, judging by steep isentropic slopes. Potent vortmax pinwheeling through the area as well. Given how much fresh snow we have OTG, I think the models may be running too warm with temps on Saturday. Low-level temps quickly cool off just above the BL and we actually have a nicely located DGZ despite the lift and moisture being relatively shallow. Daytime in mid-late March conventionally requires robust precip rates, but I don't think sun angle is really a concern from a pack refresher point of view - you'll pretty much always accumulate on top of existing snow.

Verbatim, the NAM and GFS so far would both indicate areas of 4-6", and I certainly think that's within reach here. Maybe even a little better if everything breaks right.

35 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Saturday has a shot at being more interesting than most are expecting. There's a decent banding signature for when the occluded front starts getting repurposed as an inverted trough from the coastal low after what could be a brief but meaningful burst of WAA precip, judging by steep isentropic slopes. Potent vortmax pinwheeling through the area as well. Given how much fresh snow we have OTG, I think the models may be running too warm with temps on Saturday. Low-level temps quickly cool off just above the BL and we actually have a nicely located DGZ despite the lift and moisture being relatively shallow. Daytime in mid-late March conventionally requires robust precip rates, but I don't think sun angle is really a concern from a pack refresher point of view - you'll pretty much always accumulate on top of existing snow.

Verbatim, the NAM and GFS so far would both indicate areas of 4-6", and I certainly think that's within reach here. Maybe even a little better if everything breaks right.

Took a peek at the NAM & GFS and was surprised to see an uptick in precip totals. Looks to be some sort of IVT setting up in the area. WAA precip early saturday with the potential for precip from the IVT late saturday. This is quickly turning into a grade A winter. 

10 minutes ago, snywx said:

Took a peek at the NAM & GFS and was surprised to see an uptick in precip totals. Looks to be some sort of IVT setting up in the area. WAA precip early saturday with the potential for precip from the IVT late saturday. This is quickly turning into a grade A winter. 

Another moderate event would definitely solidify this winter as a favorable one, especially for you guys west of the river near or over 70". It's nice to live in a region where the cold season is long enough that you can still get good to great snow totals despite weeks and weeks of atrocity. 

I don't think we're done with measurable after this weekend, either. I'd leave room for a couple more accumulating front-end snowfalls as the active storm track runs into generally BN temps for the next week or two. 

Archived