• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
xram

Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

There's gonna be some 40" totals in NPA and S/C NY.  The bands have been hitting the same areas for 14 hours and it's still going.

Congrats to those who got big snow today.  Probably a top 5 storm over the past decade, at least locally.

no update from local NWS office on totals as of around 4 PM or so.

Somewhat disappointing snow totals in Putnam, eastern Orange, and southern Dutchess.  Average QPF of all guidance last night was well over 2" liquid for this area with wiggle room in all directions.  Still a fantastic storm, just not historic.

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

Somewhat disappointing snow totals in Putnam, eastern Orange, and southern Dutchess.  Average QPF of all guidance last night was well over 2" liquid for this area with wiggle room in all directions.  Still a fantastic storm, just not historic.

Dry slot made a bee line for that area.. 

The BGM bands are lake enhanced now, unreal.  Up until late in the game, BGM looked to be on the NW fringe.  Historically they miss out on a lot of the big snowstorms that hit the HV.

10 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I forgot BGM did so well in that November lake effect event. Now I don't feel so charitable anymore.

I forgot too.  I think they might have a shot at their 24hr and seasonal snowfall records.  

2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Hey man, how much did you end up getting?  Measured in several spots in the backyard and got 10.5" average. 

Major bust here.  Not even half of what most models were forecasting.

12-13 depending on where I measured. Hope U didn't use your table for this one, sleet bounced right off 

45 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

12-13 depending on where I measured. Hope U didn't use your table for this one, sleet bounced right off 

No lol, I used a flat concrete area in the backyard. 

2 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

No lol, I used a flat concrete area in the backyard. 

My neighbor said 16 inches and I said u need a new ruler lol .  

Picked up another inch or two since it changed back to snow.  Respectable totals now.

took a drive around.  Roads are treacherous but passable, plowed but still snow covered.  Better than when I went out around 1 when they were barely navigable.

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Latest totals..

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.47.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.49.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.49.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.50.10 PM.png

It never stopped precipitating though and in the last 3 hours I've picked up about another 2". Since I don't fully agree with the wait until the end of the event.measuring thing I'm going with 14 before the change to sleet, 4" of sleet and now 2" on top of that. Total on the ground is 15-16 though.

2 hours ago, eduggs said:

6+ hours of sleet killed the official numbers. My back and wrists will tell you that this was not a disappointment.

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Dry slot made a bee line for that area.. 

Yeah but the precip never stopped. 

Whiteface says 33 in last 24hrs                                                                                                       

I got restless and went to take more measurements.  In the front and back I averaged 10.5-11" and also got some 10.75" readings.  I'm thinking about going with 11" since my neighboring town (Kinnelon) reported just about 13".  Overall it wasn't a bad storm.  Pretty good winds, and I have to say the early morning snow rates were just incredible.  The sleet was the only downside, and we got lots of it in the afternoon.  I mean 11" on March 14th is pretty remarkable though, especially considering how warm this season has been up until now.

17°, windy, clear and cold currently.  Certainly could pass as a January or February night.  Enjoy everyone!

This stuff is actually a bear to clean up. It's dense to start with (powdery, yes, but relatively low SLRs), and then the blowing/drifting just cements it all in. 2.5 hours with the Kubota and 28" snowblower and I still have work to do in the morning. Definitely a mistake to wait until the end before clearing.