Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

On this is seems to be creeping north still http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=OKX-N0Q-1-24#

Its most likely gonna start to orient itself in a more NE fashion. So basically from SW-NE. Those 10-15 miles W of the Hudson north of the NY/NJ line should be safe and if they do mix its prob gonna be brief

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I think some of that is legitimately just very heavy precip rates moving in. CC is usually a better tool to use than base reflectivity, when available.

Could be, vis here just dropped as that heavy wave came in but at the same time I started to hear it bouncing off the front of the house.  Seems like graupel mixed in with very heavy snow and the wind is howling.  Guess it's time to get dressed and go out and get this cold or whatever I've got knocked out of me because if it does change to sleet it's gonna get super heavy, might as well move a bunch of it first.

14 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

8.8 inches here 20.1 degrees but intensity ATM underwhelming.

If I get subsidence I will do everything in my power to have the word banned from the English language.

This lull from 7-9 am was pretty well forecast by the HRRR and high-res NAM... we had a strong start from the broad-scale ascent early this morning, and the incoming coastal low dynamics look to be on track.

This lull from 7-9 am was pretty well forecast by the HRRR and high-res NAM... we had a strong start from the broad-scale ascent early this morning, and the incoming coastal low dynamics look to be on track.

Everything looks to be on track so far. 10-12" from the initial push, once the banding sets up thats when we rack up from 11am onward

Good call I'm in the heavy stuff now and wind is nuts.

i'd estimate 2 inch per hour rates currently

The high reflectivities represent an area of high moisture content and possibly some rimmed flakes.  It's indicative of strong WAA in advance of the SLP.  Should be some large aggregates and very high hourly QPF.  But probably not better than 10:1.  Actually, it might look a lot like the 2010 snowacane for a while, though probably a few degrees colder.

The really good ratio snow, and probably biggest totals, are currently setting up in NEPA.  But the HV should have more blizzard type conditions, which is ultimately probably more fun.

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

The high reflectivities represent an area of high moisture content and possibly some rimmed flakes.  It's indicative of strong WAA in advance of the SLP.  Should be some large aggregates and very high hourly QPF.  But probably not better than 10:1.  Actually, it might look a lot like the 2010 snowacane for a while, though probably a few degrees colder.

The really good ratio snow, and probably biggest totals, are currently setting up in NEPA.  But the HV should have more blizzard type conditions, which is ultimately probably more fun.

Finally a storm that pays to be west! haven't seen one of these in a long time

Archived