Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Animal said:

No issue in my area....dumping at the moment.

Wondering if I smell the sleet line....going to be a photo finish.

Sleet probably mixes in, yes.  Just gotta hope it's brief.  Even yesterday the NAM had a very narrow warm layer advance all the way through NNJ.  Today the NAM is even warmer and other guidance has trended in that direction.  Sleet almost always advances a little further than modeled, since thin warm layers are difficult to diagnose.  Fortunately the warmer air probably mixes out later.

32 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Anyone else seem like snow growth is poor though? It's coming hard but My flakes are so fine it's almost sleet lol

I don't know if that's bad growth as much as it is fractured flakes.  It's pretty windy and I bet the turbulence upstairs is doing a number on the flakes.

The wind here on my hill keeps increasing and seems to have changed to more NNE rather than the ENE it has been.  

The extreme westerly track that screwed over pretty much everyone in the megalopolis also warmed is naturally warming our mid layers as well. Strongest lift in 0 to -10C layer = miserable little 8:1 or 9:1 granules. That's why you try not to forecast ratios above climo in big storms. Thankfully we have QPF out the wazoo to compensate through the balance of the event.

KogwbAN.png

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The extreme westerly track that screwed over pretty much everyone in the megalopolis also warmed is naturally warming our mid layers as well. Strongest lift in 0 to -10C layer = miserable little 8:1 or 9:1 granules. That's why you try not to forecast ratios above climo in big storms. Thankfully we have QPF out the wazoo to compensate through the balance of the event.

KogwbAN.png

Violently agree

Archived