SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came across some of my pics from Feb '10... never ceases to amaze. Here's a crappy windshield pic that is nonetheless one of my favorites. I'm still not sure what's more incredible, the sheer depth of the snow in many areas or the fact that this scene was like 20 minutes away from my house where it was almost purely a rainstorm.

DGrioAK.jpg

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Just came across some of my pics from Feb '10... never ceases to amaze. Here's a crappy windshield pic that is nonetheless one of my favorites. I'm still not sure what's more incredible, the sheer depth of the snow in many areas or the fact that this scene was like 20 minutes away from my house where it was almost purely a rainstorm.

DGrioAK.jpg

Must have been right after the snowicane :) That R/S line still amazes me. 36-48" snowpack was widespread on this side of the river that month

9 hours ago, snywx said:

Must have been right after the snowicane :) That R/S line still amazes me. 36-48" snowpack was widespread on this side of the river that month

I recorded 28" from that storm but under the old rules.  That snow was so wet that during that afternoon I remember the snow at my stake not going up as fast as on my board, the pack just kept getting denser.  That night when the colder air finally worked in the ratios started to go up. 

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

I recorded 28" from that storm but under the old rules.  That snow was so wet that during that afternoon I remember the snow at my stake not going up as fast as on my board, the pack just kept getting denser.  That night when the colder air finally worked in the ratios started to go up. 

I agree.. I believe 32" was the highest I got. I went by my parents house in Highland Mills that night it was just under 40". 

3 hours ago, snywx said:

I agree.. I believe 32" was the highest I got. I went by my parents house in Highland Mills that night it was just under 40". 

I live in Highland Mills and measured 35 inches from that storm, never clearing the board once. Had I cleared it 3 or 4 times it might have been 40.

That storm and January 1996 at 34 inches are the best of my lifetime. So different though, one pure powder and the temperature never went above 15 and was single digits through much of the storm. The snowicane, 30 through much of the storm and was so wet and heavy for one of the only times in my life I was starting to wish the snow would stop for fear my roof would collapse.

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I live in Highland Mills and measured 35 inches from that storm, never clearing the board once. Had I cleared it 3 or 4 times it might have been 40.

That storm and January 1996 at 34 inches are the best of my lifetime. So different though, one pure powder and the temperature never went above 15 and was single digits through much of the storm. The snowicane, 30 through much of the storm and was so wet and heavy for one of the only times in my life I was starting to wish the snow would stop for fear my roof would collapse.

There's the difference, I was at 32-33 for that storm before the cold air moved in Thursday night.  While my brothers porch roof didn't collapse it did shift enough that he couldn't open his front door.  I'll always remember helping him shovel it off during the height of the storm and then the drive to Newburgh to pickup my then wife from work. 

So is it over?  It sure feels like it.  Smells like spring, buds are poppin', new green shoots are sprouting and other than on northerly aspects and piles the snow is pretty much gone.  It appears as though spring is springing.  I'm reading about a cold shot here and there but with each passing day it feels less and less likely.  Sure maybe a day here or there but nothing extended. 

7 hours ago, gravitylover said:

So is it over?  It sure feels like it.  Smells like spring, buds are poppin', new green shoots are sprouting and other than on northerly aspects and piles the snow is pretty much gone.  It appears as though spring is springing.  I'm reading about a cold shot here and there but with each passing day it feels less and less likely.  Sure maybe a day here or there but nothing extended. 

I noticed that yesterday too

Guys be careful tonight...there could be some heavy drizzle out there per NWS:

Overnight
Patchy drizzle. The drizzle could be heavy at times. Patchy dense fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a steady temperature around 54. South wind around 5 mph.

Lol...never seen that before

2 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

The wind has really been ripping here, moreso than I was expecting 

Not at home but in Key West. eating conot shrimp and enjoying frozen drinks.

My weather station informs it is insane today with wind.

Beat all the BS high wind warnings with wind today. lmao.

Going to monitor the station during the event.

21 minutes ago, Animal said:

Nice turn up the Jimmy Buffett and have a margarita for me.:sizzle:

1 hour ago, Animal said:

Winds are ripping here. Peak gust of 45MPH the past hour.

Archived