Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah it always surprises me when people think that it's a "road trip" to go into the city from here, forget Long Island. Has the world really gotten that small? Some of my kids friends have never been as far as Boston or DC because it's too far and dad won't spend that much time in the car :( and many have never even been on a plane. Heck, it takes some of them 30 minutes to go to the mall in Danbury so they won't go more than a few times a year because it's too far.

Sort of besides the point, but I go to the Danbury Mall about once every two years and still have trouble occupying myself there for an hour. I'd rather spend the afternoon at the railway museum on White St.

Driving is cool. I don't understand the aversion so many people have, but I've always been an idle roadgeek, so maybe that takes the edge off the boredom. When I visit family in Ft. Lauderdale, I drive straight through and it typically ends up being only a few hours longer than flying would have taken. I'll be going 1600 miles roundtrip next month to watch the moon cover the sun for 2.5 minutes, so yeah... no qualms about spending time in the car.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just using that as an example because I was talking about teenagers and that's really the only place to shop around here. Other than that and the (even worse) JV Mall the selection of standalone local stores is abysmal. I guess we just grew up in a different time and to get things or see people you had to get in the car and go. People now just facetime or skype and travel without ever leaving their couch. Totally different perspective...

I've always been a road warrior. I've done the cross country thing a bunch of times, used to drive up and down the west coast just for grins (or to follow the Grateful Dead) because it was a nice ride and even did a round trip to AK from CO in an old BMW 2002 in 1989. My vacations for the last 30 years usually entail a minimum of 1k miles and frequently are more like 3k. This is a big beautiful continent and there are so many cool places to see and great things to do that I feel like I'm cheating when I fly. When I have to go places for business and fly there it takes me at least a day to adjust to being in a different place and then the trip is usually half over so I don't feel like I get to experience the place at all. If there's any way at all to fit the road time in I'll always choose to drive.

Back to weather, today was great :) Warm but not overwhelming and pretty dry. It sure would be nice to get a week like this, a couple of degrees cooler would be perfect but if it was dry I'd be content with it being a tad warm like this.

I think kids today are overly protected and taught to be afraid of everything thus it's just safer to stay close to home. Then you throw on top parents who fight their kids battles.  I drilled three phrases into my sons from a young age

1) Sometimes life sucks so get a helmet

2) No glove no love

3) Don't don't do drugs and never do heroin

As for the weather, we're still doing the dew here. 

I think kids today are overly protected and taught to be afraid of everything thus it's just safer to stay close to home. Then you throw on top parents who fight their kids battles.  I drilled three phrases into my sons from a young age

2) No glove no love

#2 wins parenting quote of the decade!! I'm gonna use that one as my daughter gets older (she's only 10 months old so I've got some time haha)

As for the weather - dear Lord was it hoy today. About 2 hours ago we had some rain. Barely anything, didnt even bother going inside for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 7/21/2017 at 6:40 PM, IrishRob17 said:

2) No glove no love

On 7/21/2017 at 6:40 PM, IrishRob17 said:

2) No glove no love

Addendums:

1-Make sure the helmet fits because it's inevitable that at some point you will crash and burn

2-!!!

3-I won't be too disappointed when you tell me that you smoked some really good weed unless you don't have any for me to confirm how good it is.

We just can't seem to go very long at all without some precip can we... Around 7:30 when we got home from the beach yesterday it was drizzling. Not enough that I would have gone inside or stopped what I was doing but it was enough to need the windshield wipers. 

16 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

When I was driving down Rt 22 the other day I noticed a new ASOS station on the north side of town in Dover Plains but I can't find a link for its obs. When you pull up their p&c it gives the Poughkeepsie airport. Anybody know where to find that link? Are there any other new ones here on the eastern side of the state?

http://www.nysmesonet.org/mesonow#?stid=DOVE

• 4 weeks later...

Archived