Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy carp! What is it with the area around and just to the north of Pittsfield MA? I was a little north of there this afternoon and it was raining so hard you could barely see the car in front of you and when I got to Pittsfield the water was running 4-6" deep on the streets. Something about the radical elevation changes between the high peaks of the Taconics and the Berkshire anticline creates the most impressive extreme weather in this whole region. 

Looks like we have some serious weather incoming here now too.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Holy carp! What is it with the area around and just to the north of Pittsfield MA? I was a little north of there this afternoon and it was raining so hard you could barely see the car in front of you and when I got to Pittsfield the water was running 4-6" deep on the streets. Something about the radical elevation changes between the high peaks of the Taconics and the Berkshire anticline creates the most impressive extreme weather in this whole region. 

Looks like we have some serious weather incoming here now too.

I went to sleep away camp in that area. Let me tell you. The storms were always crazy every summer. My camp was hit by the F4 tor that hit great barrington in 1995.

we had many times where we all had to rush down to the tornado shelters as well. Just wild storms there man.

Currently standing in the middle of the woods while my camera photographs fireflies, and it's difficult to overstate how muggy it is. The more exposures the merrier, but between the disgusting humidity and the things that go bump, I'm looking forward to getting back to the truck. 

I just drove over 600 miles since Monday morning. I'm happy to be back on (humidity sucks) my own bed in Rockland County but maaaan were two storms I witnessed this week awesome. Sorry that it fizzled before today's got here. I will say this: Growing up in the 5 boros, I always thought that Rockland County was rural. Seeing TRULY rural CNY makes Rockland County like the city in comparison. I never thought that i'd get excited to see a farmhouse in the hope that cell reception is on the way back.

Sorry for the long rant, friends. Just happy to be back! :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, nycemt123 said:

I just drove over 600 miles since Monday morning. I'm happy to be back on (humidity sucks) my own bed in Rockland County but maaaan were two storms I witnessed this week awesome. Sorry that it fizzled before today's got here. I will say this: Growing up in the 5 boros, I always thought that Rockland County was rural. Seeing TRULY rural CNY makes Rockland County like the city in comparison. I never thought that i'd get excited to see a farmhouse in the hope that cell reception is on the way back.

Sorry for the long rant, friends. Just happy to be back! :)

600 in 5 days? That's nothing. A short day for is is 250 and a couple of times a month I do day trips to the Northeast Kingdom in VT then across to Burlington and back home and also do one day trips to the central Maine coast once a month. My VT and northern NH trips are 650-700 mile days with business stops along the way so 3-4am to 11pm. I guess if you're not used to it though anything over 2-3 hours is a significant trip. 

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

600 in 5 days? That's nothing. A short day for is is 250 and a couple of times a month I do day trips to the Northeast Kingdom in VT then across to Burlington and back home and also do one day trips to the central Maine coast once a month. My VT and northern NH trips are 650-700 mile days with business stops along the way so 3-4am to 11pm. I guess if you're not used to it though anything over 2-3 hours is a significant trip. 

I thought the same thing but to be fair he said hes from NYC and thought Rockland County was rural... 

Yeah it always surprises me when people think that it's a "road trip" to go into the city from here, forget Long Island. Has the world really gotten that small? Some of my kids friends have never been as far as Boston or DC because it's too far and dad won't spend that much time in the car :( and many have never even been on a plane. Heck, it takes some of them 30 minutes to go to the mall in Danbury so they won't go more than a few times a year because it's too far.

57 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah it always surprises me when people think that it's a "road trip" to go into the city from here, forget Long Island. Has the world really gotten that small? Some of my kids friends have never been as far as Boston or DC because it's too far and dad won't spend that much time in the car :( and many have never even been on a plane. Heck, it takes some of them 30 minutes to go to the mall in Danbury so they won't go more than a few times a year because it's too far.

Was on the cape a few years back and met some locals who had never been off of cape cod. These people were in their 20's...

Lol true. I sit at a desk most of the time so the actual total of 667.9 miles definitely was a lot for me. I was definitely in the sticks for most of it though. Those 2 storms (Monday and Thursday) in that area were really an experience driving in though!

I've never been on a plane either.  I want nothing to do with these airports, or the city in general.  Much rather travel by car. 

I proposed to my wife in a Cessna 172. The exact one that crash-landed in Cresskill almost 2 years ago (not during the crash thankfully lol)

I travel by plane mostly when I DO travel.

33 minutes ago, nycemt123 said:

I proposed to my wife in a Cessna 172. The exact one that crash-landed in Cresskill almost 2 years ago (not during the crash thankfully lol)

I travel by plane mostly when I DO travel.

Wow, that's pretty interesting.  I definitely don't have anything against planes, in fact I used to enjoy going to Lincoln Park and photographing them.  I just choose to avoid the hassle of airports because the places I go and vacation are within driving distance.

Archived