SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Just checked, my event total is at .84 now 

I didn't get a chance to take the averages around here, but before midnight I know a few stations were safely over an inch, 1.10" or greater.  There were some low reading ones, like around .70", so maybe they clogged too.

The differences in measured amounts are pretty significant.  It seems like the heaviest line wasn't measured well at all on this side of the river yesterday.  There are spots showing absurdly low amounts compared to areas within a few miles (or less) with reasonable measurements.  Was the line only a few miles wide and running almost due N/S?  It absolutely poured here for a few hours, there's no way I'm under 1".

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

I didn't get a chance to take the averages around here, but before midnight I know a few stations were safely over an inch, 1.10" or greater.  There were some low reading ones, like around .70", so maybe they clogged too.

This is the season for clogged electronic gauges, I'm sure plenty got clogged making yesterday's rain totals that much more confusing/interesting 

2 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

This is the season for clogged electronic gauges, I'm sure plenty got clogged making yesterday's rain totals that much more confusing/interesting 

Ive been comparing my measurements with the NYS Mesonet site in Otisville. The only differences im noticing are dew point levels. 

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Hey how can I find the number of days that it rained/precipitated for a particular period of time?  I'm curious about March and April.

Well the silly obvious answer is look at the weather records.  What location are you looking at?  I've used the calendar here before: https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMGJ/2017/5/8/MonthlyCalendar.html?req_city=Montgomery&req_state=NY&reqdb.zip=12549&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999#calendar

44 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It's annoyingly windy out today. Just a protracted stretch of lousy wx this month.

As wet as it has been we need the wind to dry out the surface.  Now that things have pretty much leafed out the sun doesn't get down to the forest floor so wind is the best option.

23 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

But we just had a historic storm this past weekend...

Nobody said historic, well... maybe one or two of the rain lovers.  It was pretty significant though which is the point I was making.  

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

As wet as it has been we need the wind to dry out the surface.  Now that things have pretty much leafed out the sun doesn't get down to the forest floor so wind is the best option.

Nobody said historic, well... maybe one or two of the rain lovers.  It was pretty significant though which is the point I was making.  

Was I talking to you?!  No one was! :P  Dozens of QPF maps posted all last week and then folks are arguing its not about the rain totals.  Were there any Flood Advisories issued?  I really don't care I just find it all interesting how things get twisted.  That said, I was serious about keeping the rain limited to weekday overnights, lets make that happen folks.  WHo is ready to install?  I'm not, still too soon and not a long enough stretch of heat yet IMO

Archived