Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

There's gonna be some 40" totals in NPA and S/C NY.  The bands have been hitting the same areas for 14 hours and it's still going.

Congrats to those who got big snow today.  Probably a top 5 storm over the past decade, at least locally.

no update from local NWS office on totals as of around 4 PM or so.

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

Somewhat disappointing snow totals in Putnam, eastern Orange, and southern Dutchess.  Average QPF of all guidance last night was well over 2" liquid for this area with wiggle room in all directions.  Still a fantastic storm, just not historic.

Dry slot made a bee line for that area.. 

2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Hey man, how much did you end up getting?  Measured in several spots in the backyard and got 10.5" average. 

Major bust here.  Not even half of what most models were forecasting.

12-13 depending on where I measured. Hope U didn't use your table for this one, sleet bounced right off 

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Latest totals..

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.47.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.49.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.49.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.50.10 PM.png

It never stopped precipitating though and in the last 3 hours I've picked up about another 2". Since I don't fully agree with the wait until the end of the event.measuring thing I'm going with 14 before the change to sleet, 4" of sleet and now 2" on top of that. Total on the ground is 15-16 though.

2 hours ago, eduggs said:

Somewhat disappointing snow totals in Putnam, eastern Orange, and southern Dutchess.  Average QPF of all guidance last night was well over 2" liquid for this area with wiggle room in all directions.  Still a fantastic storm, just not historic.

6+ hours of sleet killed the official numbers. My back and wrists will tell you that this was not a disappointment.

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Dry slot made a bee line for that area.. 

Yeah but the precip never stopped. 

I got restless and went to take more measurements.  In the front and back I averaged 10.5-11" and also got some 10.75" readings.  I'm thinking about going with 11" since my neighboring town (Kinnelon) reported just about 13".  Overall it wasn't a bad storm.  Pretty good winds, and I have to say the early morning snow rates were just incredible.  The sleet was the only downside, and we got lots of it in the afternoon.  I mean 11" on March 14th is pretty remarkable though, especially considering how warm this season has been up until now.

17°, windy, clear and cold currently.  Certainly could pass as a January or February night.  Enjoy everyone!

Archived