Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Doubtful there is good snow crystal growth with relatively warm mid-levels.  Although I suppose it's possible.  Large aggregates don't constitute good snowgrowth.  That just means the flakes are sticking together because of a near freezing layer.  The actual snowflakes composing the aggregate could themselves be either efficiently or inefficiently grown snow crystals.

Seems like the predominate crystal habit here has improved to dendrites... albeit fragmented and heavily rimed. It's piling up much more quickly now.

Also, I always understood aggregation to decrease snow density since the mechanical locking of flakes traps lots of empty space, even in the absence of dendrites.

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Seems like the predominate crystal habit here has improved to dendrites... albeit fragmented and heavily rimed. It's piling up much more quickly now.

Also, I always understood aggregation to decrease snow density since the mechanical locking of flakes traps lots of empty space, even in the absence of dendrites.

Yeah but those empty spaces equate to higher accumulations :D

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Man, I have never met anyone who knows more about the details of snow than you.  Hats off.  I have learned a lot!

Archived