Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really is the storm we've all been waiting for. Happy for everyone in this subforum after being skunked several times over the last few years. Even February 2010 was a bust here as I dialed with mixing for awhile. Last biggie here was February 2014 around 22". Hoping to rival that one tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, LaGrangewx said:

This really is the storm we've all been waiting for. Happy for everyone in this subforum after being skunked several times over the last few years. Even February 2010 was a bust here as I dialed with mixing for awhile. Last biggie here was February 2014 around 22". Hoping to rival that one tomorrow. 

59 minutes ago, Radders said:

Hey guys! It's been a long time coming :)

So some of us wait up for the Euro all week and do all the hard work willing this storm back west, and you guys pop in the night before to reap the fruits of our labor? The nerve! ;)

11 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

So some of us wait up for the Euro all week and do all the hard work willing this storm back west, and you guys pop in the night before to reap the fruits of our labor? The nerve! ;)

Oh I have been quietly wasting hours and hours of my time watching every model output!   Speaking of which, looks like the 18Z NAM is causing some bridge jumpers 

Just now, Radders said:

Oh I have been quietly wasting hours and hours of my time watching every model output!   Speaking of which, looks like the 18Z NAM is causing some bridge jumpers 

Hah, fair enough, I should have known! And yeah, that was pretty ugly run for a lot of people. Even up here that would be somewhat suboptimal with the 700mb low over Binghamton. 20" from the initial thump seems like a good bet - whether the CCB banding pushes us into legendary territory remains to be seen.

8 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Hah, fair enough, I should have known! And yeah, that was pretty ugly run for a lot of people. Even up here that would be somewhat suboptimal with the 700mb low over Binghamton. 20" from the initial thump seems like a good bet - whether the CCB banding pushes us into legendary territory remains to be seen.

I'd never post this in the other threads but a dark side of me is hoping it busts for down here just to see what happens in the forum.  Don't mind you getting your 30" though, actually it would be funny to see the bipolarity of the forum if that happened.

Just now, Paragon said:

I'd never post this in the other threads but a dark side of me is hoping it busts for down here just to see what happens in the forum.  Don't mind you getting your 30" though, actually it would be funny to see the bipolarity of the forum if that happened.

Those poor guys haven't broken their all-time snowfall record in over a year now. :(

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Those poor guys haven't broken their all-time snowfall record in over a year now. :(

It's pretty awful when you realize it's not like there haven't been major snowstorms this year (despite the mildness), they forget about the January and February storms.  It would be easier to understand if there had been less than 10" of snow for the last 5 years lol.

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT
EDT TUESDAY NIGHT...

The National Weather Service in Albany has upgraded to a Blizzard
Warning, which is in effect from midnight tonight to midnight EDT
Tuesday night.

* LOCATIONS...central and southeastern Catskills, mid Hudson
  Valley, central and southern Taconics, Berkshires and
  northwestern Connecticut.

* HAZARD TYPES...Heavy snowfall, white-out conditions and blowing
  and drifting of snow.

* Snow Accumulations...18 to 24 inches.

* Snowfall rates...2 to 4 inches per hour during the day Tuesday.

* TIMING...Snowfall will spread the area from southwest to
  northeast during the early morning hours through sunrise. Snow
  will come down heavy during the day Tuesday before diminishing
  Tuesday night. Lighter snowfall may linger late Tuesday night
  into Wednesday especially across the higher terrain.

* IMPACTS...Extremely dangerous travel conditions due to snow
  covered roads, white-out conditions along with blowing and
  drifting snow.

* Winds...Northeast 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

I I never thought I would ever be under a blizzard warning living in Poughkeepsie.  Guys, I don't want this to end.  Trying to savor every moment of this buildup.  Reminds me of pre huge snowstorms growing up in Central Massachusetts.  We are under a blizzard warning.....wow.   Pinch me.  Three weeks ago we were under severe thunderstorm warnings. 

Speaking of thunderstorms, how much thunder snow can we expect? 

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

That's pretty much the kind of numbers I've been thinking too.  I like the idea of deformation zones and gravity waves, or what some on here are calling death bands, and thunder as things really get going.  If we can get into 6+"/hr rates legendary isn't out of the question.

I've waited forever for a monster like this in the Poconos to come to fruition, and luck would have it, I'm gone out of the area until next week lol. First time Binghamton Nws issued a blizzard warning since 2001 for anyone in the cwa, and the first time since 1993 "I BELIEVE" for the Poconos. Enjoy it folks, please upload photos. We've waited for a true interior monster like this forever!

Just now, NepaJames8602 said:

Binghamton Nws using cips analogs of V-day storm of 07 a's the number one analog for the cwa, and also the superstorm of 93 as second. What a true beast this storm will be. Saying locations from Poconos through the Catskills could approach 30" amounts. Absolutely incredible. 

Looking really good for you James!

"So, who's pulling an all nighter with me?

Anyone down? "

Nope rather be fresh(ish) so I can spend the day outside during the best periods of the storm.  The more often I shovel the better I can build the banks.  Bet I'll have them over 5 feet and pretty likely over 6 if I keep shaving the edge.  I love big snowbanks :) 

Archived