Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Idk how it's snowing honestly, I have a fairly accurate hi res radar app... and there's nothing to be found lol

Low-level moisture flying (quote literally) under the radar. It's drizzling here since the low levels aren't cold enough for ice nuclei activation... I can't imagine it's much colder over there so you must have some kind of seeder-feeder action going on. 

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Low-level moisture flying (quote literally) under the radar. It's drizzling here since the low levels aren't cold enough for ice nuclei activation... I can't imagine it's much colder over there so you must have some kind of seeder-feeder action going on. 

low valley elevation butted up close to the Wallkill river? Idk lol

31 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Coming down good... better than last year with less than 5"

IMG_1938.PNG

After getting skunked last winter you seem to be in the sweet spot the last two storms.  How far are you from Monticello I visit a friend there about twice a month and it seems to  be a cold/snowy spot?

7 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Back to freezing mist... tried taking my tarp off wood pile, was as stiff as a teenage boys floor socks 

Oh god, you just reminded me of when I cleaned my middle sons room when he went away to school.

In other off topic news, this dam situation kept s geeting worse in CAhttp://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oroville-update-20170212-story.html

2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Not a bad idea, but it would take a heck of a long time.  My father tried that on his snowblower, and he said it worked alright, but it took awhile to melt down the snow trapped in the augers.

There has to be a way to make something like that work.  One of these days I'll put some real thought into it and make it happen.  I love shoveling but I'd kinda rather not have to.  That's the lazy old man in me showing through ;) 

Went to light snow here for a while, now it's just flurries.  It's like when residual low level moisture freezes out of the air when it's really cold out and the air is all sparkly but, it's not that cold.  The roads are covered again and the last plows went by a few hours ago so I bet it's all sortsa slick out there.  

13 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

There has to be a way to make something like that work.  One of these days I'll put some real thought into it and make it happen.  I love shoveling but I'd kinda rather not have to.  That's the lazy old man in me showing through ;) 

Went to light snow here for a while, now it's just flurries.  It's like when residual low level moisture freezes out of the air when it's really cold out and the air is all sparkly but, it's not that cold.  The roads are covered again and the last plows went by a few hours ago so I bet it's all sortsa slick out there.  

Oh it's a good idea, just need a full propane tank and some patience :D

They also come in different BTU ratings, and if I'm not mistaken, some companies also make that style for use with Kerosene.

17 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Go big or go home, railroads have been using jets to melt snow for years

I pretty much slept through it but it looks like we got at least another inch last night and it's snowing lightly now.  Everything is coated in a couple mm thick layer of ice and with the wind the tinkling sound and fresh snow is making for a very wintry scene more reminiscent of an alpine than suburban setting.  One more cup of coffee and it's time to go scrape the frozen plow pile out of the end of the driveway <_< 

Judging by what I shoveled and brushed off the cars it was probably closer to 2" than 1 overnight.  I've had strong winds since about 1am but they're winding down now.  For a while it was howling through the trees making the ice crackle and pop, sounded great :)   We have a good crust going now, hopefully it hardens up tonight so I can get out and ride on it in the morning, I love when Krusty the Klown comes to town.

Someday I'll be wise enough to write down my snowfall totals, maybe when I grow up :lol:  I can't imagine that I'm not at or above average at the moment as well.  Right now the snowbanks in the driveway are head height on the shady side and chest high on the sunny side.  It looks like deep deep winter when you stand at the street and look up :) You'd never know that it's a warm winter based on how it looks.

44 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I had a couple decent gusts since I posted earlier. The LE was .91". My seasonal snowfall is now 37.3" and average season total for this date is 28.4", so above normal for now. 

You mountain folk are doing great this Winter.  Most OC posters are just at, or even above 40".

Very windy here this morning.

Just now, snywx said:

I would say most in OC are at or above 40" so far. 45.1" ytd imby

Yeah, definitely not bad in terms of snow up there, even though January was a dud.  Most around my area of Morris should be right around the 20" mark, give or take a few inches.

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

I seem to be behind everyone else up here. Must be cause snowboards inflate totals, wait, wut...:pimp:

Lol, that explains why Ulster is at 50" for the season.  I heard his board has a groove cut in it that allows the measuring device to sit down inside of it.  Usually adds an inch or two.

5 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah, definitely not bad in terms of snow up there, even though January was a dud.  Most around my area of Morris should be right around the 20" mark, give or take a few inches.

Lol, that explains why Ulster is at 50" for the season.  I heard his board has a groove cut in it that allows the measuring device to sit down inside of it.  Usually adds an inch or two.

Cut it myself 

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I seem to be behind everyone else up here. Must be cause snowboards inflate totals, wait, wut...:pimp:

Nah you just can't keep up B)

It's been pretty darned windy around here all day.  There are trees down all over the place and there were branches flying and bouncing off the car this afternoon when I went down Rt 100 along the reservoir in Yorktown. In Briarcliff there was a line of cars trying to squeeze through a tiny gap between a tree and guardrail and I got tired of watching the chaos so I just drove over it in my Durango.  AWD and reasonable clearance FTW :) After I did that a whole line of bigger suv's followed me while all of these regular cars sat there honking at us in frustration.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Nah you just can't keep up B)

It's been pretty darned windy around here all day.  There are trees down all over the place and there were branches flying and bouncing off the car this afternoon when I went down Rt 100 along the reservoir in Yorktown. In Briarcliff there was a line of cars trying to squeeze through a tiny gap between a tree and guardrail and I got tired of watching the chaos so I just drove over it in my Durango.  AWD and reasonable clearance FTW :) After I did that a whole line of bigger suv's followed me while all of these regular cars sat there honking at us in frustration.

My wind was meh... max gust if 22... sustained was about 6-8mph... i do better on spring day

Archived