Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, West MT. NY said:

All intensity driven here now. Backs off to sleet then picks up like now back to moderate snow with nice flakes

Agreed... I haven't mixed yet, but the couple times intensity has let up, my flake size has dramatically decreased... then I notice a few large flakes here and there, and that's when I know heavier stuffs coming, usually after 15 min it's back to all heavy large flakes 

15 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

2.8", crappy flakes mixing with pingers and grauple and other miscellaneous bits. This event is a bit on the meh side.

Wow I'm surprised, thought for sure you guys with lat over there would do just as good...you think the rates weren't as intense by the time things made the push across the HV

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Wow I'm surprised, thought for sure you guys with lat over there would do just as good...you think the rates weren't as intense by the time things made the push across the HV

I've long suspected that my area suffers from some shadowing issues off the Berks/Taconics or something. Snowing pretty righteously again though so we'll see what happens as this last band pushes through 

Just now, Juliancolton said:

I've long suspected that my area suffers from some shadowing issues off the Berks/Taconics or something. Snowing pretty righteously again though so we'll see what happens as this last band pushes through 

I posted in the OBS thread, short terms backfill a decent amount over the next 2-3 hours as LP makes its pass, idk

Probably had close to 5" before the changeover then got nearly 1" of pure sleet and pellets before it changed to plain rain.  Now it's 27* and moderate rain and this whole place is quickly turning into an ice cube.  I have to go out for a bit and go to a wake then I'm hunkerin' down with some cold beers and tequila shots.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

So once everything stops is when I should take the final measurement correct?

Yes but if any sleet or freezing rain compresses your totals from your max depth at anytime today you go with your max depth for the days storm. At least that's the way I now understand it, even if I don't totally agree with it.

2 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Yes but if any sleet or freezing rain compresses your totals from your max depth at anytime today you go with your max depth for the days storm. At least that's the way I now understand it, even if I don't totally agree with it.

Yup... no wipey... I don't really give AF... so I'm counting my 6.4" towards my total whether I compress later or not lol... I'm not reporting to NWS so lol

4 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

That's a little confusing, but I see what you're saying.  Oddly enough, it seemed there wasn't much compression with this one.  It might be hard to believe, but the measurement I took at 12:00 p.m. is the same as it was a couple hours later.  Granted, that time period consisted of mostly freezing rain, and I guess that light glazing wasn't enough to add or "compress" anything significantly.  All that said, I'm going with 1.25" of sleet, snow, and a little bit of ice mixed in.  It's like a frozen sandwich, so measuring ice separately is nearly impossible.

Just now, rgwp96 said:

It's probably compacting by now , by the way 1.25 is actually 1.3 if u were reporting it 

Yep, it's just about to start compacting, but 15 minutes ago it was still 1.25"

If I were to report, I would absolutely round up.  Just need to become a trained spotter first B)

Archived