Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

7 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

True story, something very similar actually happened to me during my OBX '14 trip. A friend of mine got confused and opened the door to my bedroom while I was changing out of my swim trunks. She's a lesbian and all she said afterward was "I don't know how you guys walk around with those things". LOL

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Animal said:

congrats. Albany is honking hard for a big event it seems.

Would stink to live across the street in Orange or Putnam County NY. Just a WWA.

I'm pretty much used to it by now.

6 minutes ago, Animal said:

I need some cold models runs today to get my house in the snow game.

Don't really want more sleet!!!

The prior sleet storm was brutal. Still have a few inches of it under the recent snow dump.

I actually want sleet.  It packs in nice and tight and creates a wonderful crust to ride a fat bike on.  My favorite part of winter around here has become when Krusty the Klown comes to town.  I can't stand shoveling it but, for me, the flip side pretty well outweighs the rotten side now.

10 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yea, of old man winter is throwing ya sleet you have to make lemonade out of it...or something like that, sleet helps to solidify the snowpack. 

yea..I was just pondering the that myself.

Sorta the perfect winter sandwich.

I have a solid sleet base on the ground, heavy snow pack on top. Possible adding  another sleet top.

**Did not like the 12Z NAM.  I need some snow.

Unfortunately even if we get a nice sleet cap here this stuff is going to rot away very quickly because the ground underneath is still wet from all the rain last week.  I'm not quite down to grass poking through yet but it's close.  There is definitely less than 4" in my front yard and if you step on the snow you actually sink in and hear that squish sound from the mud below.  I'm still rooting for a sleet cap though just because I need to go out and play in the woods and that's the only hope.

21 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

WWA up here. 1-2" of sleet/snow/ice.

Latitude will hurt me.. about 14 miles south of NY border. Gradient between snow and mixed precip will be sharp.

Expecting a mainly sleet/ice storm here.

the numbers should get raised.

Expect a warning to be issued for our county due to the ice factor etc.

26 minutes ago, Heavy Wet Snow said:

East of river so close this run to getting into some coastal bands early Monday morning. That could pad some totals east of river. Sometimes those outer bands are modeled to Far East. We'll see if that's anything more than scattered showers in dutchess Putnam westchester 

I'm not really too interested in the coastal storm, honestly... Miller Bs are terrible at our longitude, "wraparound" snows almost always underperform, and, at least imby, I'll likely be seeing warning criteria snows so I won't regret missing out on the bomb. I will say that Monday could get pretty interesting in terms of blowing and drifting, especially if it's not a complete paste job. The 4km NAM has some areas of 35-45 kt gusts which would be quite breezy indeed.

10 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm not really too interested in the coastal storm, honestly... Miller Bs are terrible at our longitude, "wraparound" snows almost always underperform, and, at least imby, I'll likely be seeing warning criteria snows so I won't regret missing out on the bomb. I will say that Monday could get pretty interesting in terms of blowing and drifting, especially if it's not a complete paste job. The 4km NAM has some areas of 35-45 kt gusts which would be quite breezy indeed.

Ya I'm pretty south, I'm in northern westchester so I think I have mixing problems which will limit me during the initial surge. We'll see. 

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

Dew points are crashing, down to 17, temp fell from 42-40 in the last hour.  

39.6 here down from a high of 42.4. This is going to be nail bitingly close between sleet and snow, especially down here in Orange. You seem to have a little wiggle room up in Dutchess.

33 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Soundings show surface below freezing , either sleet or freezing rain for awhile . Sounding close to snow for a few hrs as well

Interesting, maybe we will get in on some frozen precip then.  Here's a snippet of our WWA Text.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST SUNDAY...

* LOCATIONS...Portions of the Lehigh Valley and adjacent northwest New Jersey.

* SLEET ACCUMULATIONS..Less than one inch.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...around a tenth of an inch.

* TIMING...Precipitation is expected to begin late tonight. Temperatures may be warm enough for the precipitation to begin as rain, but they are expected to cool below freezing by sunrise on Sunday. A mixture of freezing rain and sleet is expected during the day on Sunday. Precipitation may transition back to rain by the afternoon before tapering off during the early evening hours.

* IMPACTS...Ice and sleet accumulations will create treacherous driving conditions. The weight of the ice and snow on tree limbs and power lines could produce isolated outages.

So a few things to look at for snow growth tomorrow. This NAM sounding shows reasonably strong lift and a nicely saturated column up to around 450 mb... the brunt of the negative omega intersects the DGZ, but it's a narrow layer, maybe 50 mb deep. There will be dendrites growing but you can also see how deep the vertical ascent is, extending through the bottom 5km of the atmosphere, most of which will be warmer than -10C. This means that other flake habits will be growing in addition to dendrites, likely needles and columns. Lift through a 0 to -10C layer also means there will be a copious supply of supercooled water droplets floating around, which will then stick to the descending flakes as rime. Given that this layer is something like 3 km deep, significant riming is a good bet.

That said, aggregation is favored near the freezing mark, so places where the column approaches 0C will be where snowflakes are clumping together. (As a side note, it's usually ok if your sounding creeps above freezing just a little... elevated warm layer temperature and depth have an almost proportional relationship, so a warm tongue up to +1C will very rarely be deep enough to melt snowflakes.) Needles in particular like to interlock, raising ratios in the process. That's part of why people speak fondly of isothermal snowfalls. One additional factor is that winds in the low levels will be relatively strong, which can mechanically shatter the more delicate flakes and lead to denser snow.

FXpEE4W.png

Archived