Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

13 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Total of 9".  Can't say I'm not a little disappointed but happy nonetheless.  Looking good out there.

How are roads down that way? finished with 11.1 here. Took a drive and Seems like a solid rock layer of slush on the roads here that they can't scrape off. Blowing snow not helping either. Even though snow has been long gone, I bet most schools in the Hudson valley are delayed or even some of the city schools like Mr Vernon and Yonkers closed tomorrow 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Heavy Wet Snow said:

How are roads down that way? finished with 11.1 here. Took a drive and Seems like a solid rock layer of slush on the roads here that they can't scrape off. Blowing snow not helping either. Even though snow has been long gone, I bet most schools in the Hudson valley are delayed or even some of the city schools like Mr Vernon and Yonkers closed tomorrow 

Haven't been driving since I took a snow ride at about 9am.

1 hour ago, White Gorilla said:

Pretty happy with this snowfall, not epic, but definitely more than I thought a few days ago.  It is beautiful.

I was convinced up until like three days ago that this would be a little anafrontal wave shearing out to our south. I was hoping for double digits but still, it's our biggest storm in over two years.

36 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I was convinced up until like three days ago that this would be a little anafrontal wave shearing out to our south. I was hoping for double digits but still, it's our biggest storm in over two years.

No doubt, not the best, but definitely cause to celebrate.  Hoping for the big Kahuna later this month when we will look back on this and call it a mere tasty appetizer.

7 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Today's 14" was my biggest snowfall In years, another couple events and ill easily hit average, hell we might get above average if the next 3 weeks pans out 

I think today put most of us back above average ytd. I have 40.5" ytd and have 6 weeks or so to add 10-12" to reach my seasonal average.

23 minutes ago, snywx said:

I was just at my folks house in Highland Mills and they received about 13" as well. 

Looks like OC/Ulster jackpot for NY... dad reported 13" in highland falls/West Point also

saw unconfirmed report of 15" in New Paltz, would make since as I saw 14 and they're just to my north, better elevation too

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Looks like OC/Ulster jackpot for NY... dad reported 13" in highland falls/West Point also

saw unconfirmed report of 15" in New Paltz, would make since as I saw 14 and they're just to my north, better elevation too

Mike Pence was at West Point today. Had the roads blocked off for awhile down by Trophy Point with heavily armed MPs 

2 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Mike Pence was at West Point today. Had the roads blocked off for awhile down by Trophy Point with heavily armed MPs 

Really? I'm a firefighter at WP... had no idea lol.. me and my father both 

fhey usually don't advertise that stuff ahead of time, (for obvious reasons) when there's a VIP coming we usually find out an hour before for standby and emergency route purposes... 

4 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Really? I'm a firefighter at WP... had no idea lol.. me and my father both 

fhey usually don't advertise that stuff ahead of time, (for obvious reasons) when there's a VIP coming we usually find out an hour before for standby and emergency route purposes... 

My retirement job is driving around the cadets. Was surprised they didn't cancel sports shuttles since there was a code red. Knew about Pence yesterday. Was surprised he showed up with this weather. 

2 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

My retirement job is driving around the cadets. Was surprised they didn't cancel sports shuttles since there was a code red. Knew about Pence yesterday. Was surprised he showed up with this weather. 

Hahaha we've probably bumped into one another at some point lol

the other guy on this board "squid" is a FF there too, good friend 

3 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Probably during the warm months when a bunch of you sit around Sups box killing time and taking my spot. Lol

Lmao... those are standbys for the parachute team, army regs require a fire engine present for all helicopter takeoff/landings on bases....trust me, we work 24hr shifts, we would much rather be back at the station killing time with Netflix lol

4 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

I came in with 9, rates were not great . Melted down precip was .73 . That's only 12-1. Really only had 1-2 hrs of great snow 

I had .81" of liquid contained within that same 9". I believe 11:1 is a little below climo imby. It seems like with every storm, people get caught up in the crosshairs approach to snow growth and expect something like 18:1 ratios without looking into things like fragmentation and riming. 

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I had .81" of liquid contained within that same 9". I believe 11:1 is a little below climo imby. It seems like with every storm, people get caught up in the crosshairs approach to snow growth and expect something like 18:1 ratios without looking into things like fragmentation and riming. 

What mesoscale factors contribute to rimming and fragmentation?  I know high wind does.  What factors promote greater dendritic growth?

Archived