Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

Looked outside, was ripping with an additional half inch. Didn't even know precipitation was still falling, lol.

1.1" liquid storm total so far.

I gave Mt Holly NS a call earlier. There short term forecast is poor. Mentions possible minor accumulation of snow.

Got moderate to at times heavy snow falling. lol

11 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I was wiping often cause I was bouncing between sleet and snow between 4-6pm... then I wiped again before just cause I didn't think I'd go out and take another measurement tonight. But I was outside so

IMO you are inadvertently getting inflated totals due to wiping the board too frequently. 

https://madis-data.noaa.gov/snow_measurements.html

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

IMO you are inadvertently getting inflated totals due to wiping the board too frequently. 

I dont think it's impacting it all that much... but your probably right, my totals seemed in line with new paltz to my north and Newburgh to my south, I'll leave it and see what storm totals are... 

i was 4.8" total as of this afternoon, and new Windsor was 4.5

4 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

and you are reporting it as 8? thats why i hate the clearing off method. totally inflates numbers

I had 4.8" OTG This morning.... with .25" this afternoon of rain followed by more heavy sleet... and I still have 4" on the ground... numbers aren't inflated when I've only picked up and additional less than 4, it's not like I wiped after every inch.. I wiped only during change of ptype

how else would you suggest getting an accurate measurement in those conditions? 

Ground reading means absolutely nothing... and had I left my board completely alone... I would have had 4.8 this AM.... washed away like all my railings were etc... and then got a false reading for sure

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I had 4.8" OTG This morning.... with .25" of rain... and I still have 4" on the ground... numbers aren't inflated when I've only picked up less than 4, it's not like I wiped after every inch.. I wiped only during change of ptype

i dont want to argue but areas that had 2 inch of sleet here still had 2 inches left before tonights additional. your way totally inflates it

3 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

i dont want to argue but areas that had 2 inch of sleet here still had 2 inches left before tonights additional. your way totally inflates it

There's absolutely no way that's possible... 

your telling me... 2" of sleet then rain all day.. which is what almost everyone received, and temps in mid to upper 30s you didn't loose a single inch... sorry but no

Not to mention I'm not reporting rouge amounts... all the people that live in this vicinity on this board have reported similar readings... New Windsor being one of them 

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

There's absolutely no way that's possible... 

your telling me... 2" of sleet then rain all day.. which is what almost everyone received, and temps in mid to upper 30s you didn't loose a single inch... sorry but no

your total was 8 for the event total? ask the guy named animal on here, i doubt much of his melted. sleet has great holding power

4 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I had 4.8" OTG This morning.... with .25" this afternoon of rain followed by more heavy sleet... and I still have 4" on the ground... numbers aren't inflated when I've only picked up and additional less than 4, it's not like I wiped after every inch.. I wiped only during change of ptype

how else would you suggest getting an accurate measurement in those conditions? 

Ground reading means absolutely nothing... and had I left my board completely alone... I would have had 4.8 this AM.... washed away like all my railings were etc... and then got a false reading for sure

What's more surprising to me is that you said you were near 3" of liquid for the storm. Was that from a core sample or gauge collecting all precip? I'm at 1.2" or so

1 minute ago, rgwp96 said:

your total was 8 for the event total? ask the guy named animal on here, i doubt much of his melted. sleet has great holding power

4.8" of sleet at 6am

1.4" of sleet/snow between 345pm-730pm

1.7" new snow from 7:30- present

that's 7.9" and NONE of those readings for OBS that are being reported around here are far fetched....they coincide with everyone else in the area...not argueing about this with someone 100+ miles away questioning my OBS... lol

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

What's more surprising to me is that you said you were near 3" of liquid for the storm. Was that from a core sample or gauge collecting all precip? I'm at 1.2" or so

I had assumed with 4.8" of sleet being 2:1 ratio, I received nearly  2.5" last night alone... or is my math off?.... and another .25 rain today plus the 1.4" sleet after rain

snyx reported 3.8" sleet that's well over 1.2" alone

7 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

4.8" of sleet at 6am

1.4" of sleet/snow between 345pm-730pm

1.7" new snow from 7:30- present

that's 7.9" and NONE of those readings for OBS that are being reported around here are far fetched....they coincide with everyone else in the area...not argueing about this with someone 100+ miles away questioning my OBS... lol

I'm not saying your measuring is off but saying wiping method inflates totals imo 

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I had assumed with 4.8" of sleet being 2:1 ratio, I received nearly  2.5" last night alone... or is my math off?.... and another .25 rain today plus the 1.4" sleet after rain

snyx reported 3.8" sleet that's well over 1.2" alone

U can't go by that ? U have to melt it . MY event total here is 1.97 (frozen stuff melted )

Archived