Welcome to American Weather
H2O

January Obs and Disco

287 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

lol how can this be such a mystery?

It shouldn't be a mystery that snowcover will lead to colder nighttime temps, but that's some pretty cold stuff. It's incredibly rare to get below zero in many of the places that got there last night.

Parents' house in farm country of South Jersey radiates like a mofo. They have about 6" on the ground and they hit -1F. They do go below zero given the right conditions to radiate well, so this is totally believable, but some of the readings around this region are really impressive.

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It shouldn't be a mystery that snowcover will lead to colder nighttime temps, but that's some pretty cold stuff. It's incredibly rare to get below zero in many of the places that got there last night.

Parents' house in farm country of South Jersey radiates like a mofo. They have about 6" on the ground and they hit -1F. They do go below zero given the right conditions to radiate well, so this is totally believable, but some of the readings around this region are really impressive.

Places on the Delmarva can radiate very well, not quite as well as the Pine Barrens. Salisbury area has a very sandy soil, and is often colder than my area with no snow cover when a cold, dry air mass is in place with HP overhead.

4.7 for a low, that was about 2 am, then it crept up a degree or two as clouds rolled in, 7.6 now. High was 19.1, new record 'low high' beating 20.2 from 2010. 

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Places on the Delmarva can radiate very well, not quite as well as the Pine Barrens. Salisbury area has a very sandy soil, and is often colder than my area with no snow cover when a cold, dry air mass is in place with HP overhead.

Makes sense that the Eastern Shore might radiate well, but that's interesting about the soil component.

Here's what I've found in SE VA and NE NC so far:

KRIC: 0

KPTB (Petersburg/Dinwiddie VA): -8F

KLKU (Louisa, VA): 3F

KPVG (Chesapeake): 9F

KSFQ (Suffolk, VA): 3F

KFKN (Franklin, VA): -2F

KEMV (Emporia, VA): -6F

KECG (Elizabeth City, NC): 11F

KPVG (Greenville, NC): 3F (this was actually late yesterday)

KIXA (Roanoke Rapids, NC): 5F

Anyone seen any below 0 temps in NC?

Back home in Staunton KSHD got to -1F, but that's pretty common at least once a year.  CHO and EZF hit 7F, which is pretty cold for them.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Makes sense that the Eastern Shore might radiate well, but that's interesting about the soil component.

You see the same thing on Long Island way out on the east end.  The temp dropped 18F (from +9F to -9F) in 2 hrs this AM once the winds died.  Same soil composition.

After the March 1-2 2009 snow, my place west of RIC fell below zero on clear skies and 12" of fresh snowcover - pretty amazing given it was March.  The CVA piedmont just radiates better than most of the area around DC, especially Leesburg - where seemingly any westerly wind component at all prevents temps from bottoming out.  

AKQ (at the NWS office) hit -2 on Sunday morning after the Saturday snow - and they are well east of the fall line.  I don't think we made it to single digits up here.

That said, the inverse is often true during torch periods when I am sitting in the upper 40's and everything east of RIC is 70+.  I would guess this happens a few times seemingly every winter when rarely does CVA see consecutive nights of near or below zero temps - maybe once or twice a decade at best.

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

lol how can this be such a mystery?

I know snowcover will make it colder, but the Richmond area was 15-25 degrees colder than MBY last night.  Seemed like a pretty huge difference.

5 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:

I know snowcover will make it colder, but the Richmond area was 15-25 degrees colder than MBY last night.  Seemed like a pretty huge difference.

February 20, 2015 was one of those types of nights where it never quite cleared out or went calm in Northern VA. My parent's weather station in a somewhat sheltered low spot in Fredericksburg, which almost always radiates well, hit -12. DCA managed 5 and IAD hit 0.

Some places in Central VA radiate surprisingly well.

High of 24.

Did a hike at Tuckahoe in the snow today while its still around and powdery. Was perfect, and not much wind.

Ready for the warm up and rain now. Don't think I have ever had so many layers of road salt on my jeep. So gross.

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

8/22 here. Heck...mid December was colder then this.

Really? This is by far the coldest of the season for me. Then again, you live in another world with real winter expectations.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Really? This is by far the coldest of the season for me. Then again, you live in another world with real winter expectations.

Yes and yes . December 15th -16th - high of 18, 20 respectively 

15 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This period is the coldest here as well. Of course the snow cover has a lot to do with that.

58 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yes and yes . December 15th -16th - high of 18, 20 respectively 

What did you record for the high temperature yesterday.

23 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

What did you record for the high temperature yesterday.

19. Which is plenty cold . But that Thursday on the 15th with those wind  gusts to mid 30s cut right through ya .