Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

17 hours ago, H2O said:

Facebook was kind enough to remind me so I re-lived it through that.  Talked about it with mappy some too.  Would love to get one of those every year as it was such a great storm.  No p-type issues, long duration, epic winds and cold for a bit after.

It truly was the perfect storm! Even one that didn't have any model wars leading up to it--A rare model agreement from a week out! I mean ya couldn't get more perfect for a snow lover than that, lol

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, PaEasternWX said:

Board was offline for 4 hours. Wow. Whoever runs the board you guys really need to post something on twitter when something like this happens. There was no updates on twitter or facebook.

Chill.  you can survive without mdsnowlover posts for 4 hours.  the horrors.

11 hours ago, PaEasternWX said:

Board was offline for 4 hours. Wow. Whoever runs the board you guys really need to post something on twitter when something like this happens. There was no updates on twitter or facebook.

Which is kind of ironic since they're soliciting money for memberships in support of the upgrade costs.  And their renewal software doesn't work, so you can't renew even if you wanted to.

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Can someone expert in DC traffic answer this?  Coming 66E and headed to Annopolis, should I take 495N or 495S to pick up 50E?

i say take 495S over the WW to 50E.  The north side of the beltway can get jammed up from 66 north through Tysons and across the American legion bridge.  The 270 spur brings a ton of traffic too and then you have to get by the I95 merge as well.

usually the outer loop through VA to the WW is moving decently until you get close to the WW.  Not sure about how it rolls once you get into MD.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

Go 495 S. No doubt. May get a little sticky around Or before WW bridge, then its almost always clear sailing until you get up near Rt 50. 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

i say take 495S over the WW to 50E.  The north side of the beltway can get jammed up from 66 north through Tysons and across the American legion bridge.  The 270 spur brings a ton of traffic too and then you have to get by the I95 merge as well.

usually the outer loop through VA to the WW is moving decently until you get close to the WW.  Not sure about how it rolls once you get into MD.

Will take 495S.  Thank you both.

2 hours ago, PaEasternWX said:
:axe:
Steve D thinks we transition into a spring pattern starting around February 15th... meaning an early spring. Basically says only 2 more weeks left of winter.

Well after all the snow he said we were getting back in the fall I am sure we will be ready for spring by then.  

44 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I need to learn how to reply to one post in another thread...but I am replying over in banter.  

If you hit the plus button next to "quote" that says Multiquote when highlighted... it puts the quoted message in memory.  Then you switch the threads or boards, then the bottom right there appears a button that says "quote 1" and you hit that button and it starts a reply with a quoted message from your other thread.

13 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

If you hit the plus button next to "quote" that says Multiquote when highlighted... it puts the quoted message in memory.  Then you switch the threads or boards, then the bottom right there appears a button that says "quote 1" and you hit that button and it starts a reply with a quoted message from your other thread.

thank you, I will go clean up the posts

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a great life but certainly not for everyone. Couldn't have picked a better place to spend my 20's. Fit my personality to a tee at the time. The valley floor towns mostly average 150" or less and the biggest single 24hr totals than 12". I lived at the base of Buffalo mountain and worked in Keystone. An 8 mile drive went from 9700' to 8500' back to 9600'. Typical stark differences in snowfall over short distances. The big storms come in cycles and not individual events. It can snow at different intensities for 5 days straight. Pretty amazing. Not the best place to raise a family with public education though. Majority of local kids don't go to college or just go to the mountain community college but they are incredible skiers and boarders. lol. 

There are a couple downsides to living up high in ski country. Mud season (mid april through all of may) sucks. Backcountry skiing is the only game in town and everything is muddy all the time. Summers are really short and monsoon season (mid july though most of aug) sucks because it gets cloudy/chilly/rainy most afternoons. 

If I had a good job in the Denver area I would probably live in Evergreen or near there in the foothills. They get destroyed with upslope storms. Like 3'+ when a good one hits but not nearly as much nickle and diming as west of the divide. Precip shadow with sw-nw flow. But a good middle ground between the major cities and ski country. 

I can assure you that you won't miss the coastals though. That was the last thing on my mind living there. lol

yea I am coming around to that thinking, and you are probably right one of those towns west of Denver that get absolutely crushed in upslope and are a short hop to the ski areas would be idea.  I have actual put some thought into it not just a fantasy.  I missed the chance to do it early, but me and my wife has thought about maybe when I hit 30 years and can get full retirement at 57 heading out.  The little one would be out of school by then and at 57 assuming I stay in shape I would still have at least a good decade of active years to enjoy the skiing, fishing, hiking, golfing and other such outdoor activities I love out there.  And it would be workable if I found some part time job out there on top of my retirement for a while.  Its a dream at least to keep me going in these god awful winters like this one.  

Ironically Keystone is one of the only resorts in Colorado I have not skied.  It just never made it onto my list, done several days at Copper, A-basin, Breck, Winter park, and Loveland but somehow always avoided Keystone.  My personal favorite in the state might be Steamboat for the tree skiing but its so far out there in the middle of nowhere.  Blue sky at Vail is great too but Vail is out of control and pricey.  Colorado is definitely more my speed in terms of lifestyle then the east coast.  

Coming from Florida off vacation, and it's such a wonderful place to live where you can wear shorts basically year round. I've been here in summer though and that's just brutal to be around, unless you're in the Keys. For some reason Keys life is just wonderful but pretty costly to live in. I personally like where we live in this area of the country. We get those 4 seasons to enjoy and sometimes, when the stars align, we get a decent snow and fulfill the love that is winter. Colorado would be the best place, other than here, that I could think of to enjoy sort of what we have over here. They have 4 seasons east of the divide as well, and sometimes all in the same day! They say if you don't like the weather in Maryland, wait 15 minutes. Colorado weather will laugh and say "Hold my beer". What a crazy, wonderful place to live. 

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

yea I am coming around to that thinking, and you are probably right one of those towns west of Denver that get absolutely crushed in upslope and are a short hop to the ski areas would be idea.  I have actual put some thought into it not just a fantasy.  I missed the chance to do it early, but me and my wife has thought about maybe when I hit 30 years and can get full retirement at 57 heading out.  The little one would be out of school by then and at 57 assuming I stay in shape I would still have at least a good decade of active years to enjoy the skiing, fishing, hiking, golfing and other such outdoor activities I love out there.  And it would be workable if I found some part time job out there on top of my retirement for a while.  Its a dream at least to keep me going in these god awful winters like this one.  

Ironically Keystone is one of the only resorts in Colorado I have not skied.  It just never made it onto my list, done several days at Copper, A-basin, Breck, Winter park, and Loveland but somehow always avoided Keystone.  My personal favorite in the state might be Steamboat for the tree skiing but its so far out there in the middle of nowhere.  Blue sky at Vail is great too but Vail is out of control and pricey.  Colorado is definitely more my speed in terms of lifestyle then the east coast.  

I logged most of my days at A basin and hiking the backcountry all around it. They are gate friendly there and hitchhiking back to the resort was easy. Lots of cool folks with pickup trucks. Made a lot of friends that way. 

Keystone *had* great backcountry hiking with sking back in under the ropes. I knew a lot of patrollers and always told them our routes in advance. They way they didn't have to worry about lost guests dying and stuff.  Lol. Technically we were breaking the rules but never had a single problem. Now all the bowls are inbounds when the gates are open. Keystone was great for lower angle tree and bowl skiing but nothing compares to in bounds and out of bounds at a basin. That place was a mini mecca. 

I loved CO's attitude towards backcountry in all seasons. You could do whatever you wanted as long as a sign said you couldn't. Very few signs too. If you needed a rescue or airlift they would come and you would pay for it. Thankfully none of that happened to me personally but I had 2 friends get airlifted at a cost of 10k each. 

I 4 wheeled my truck and rode my enduro all over the place in the summer. Scarey at times but I stayed away from the gnarly stuff. Camped and fished and partied. It's a very free spirited state for sure. And you meet all kinds of interesting people along the way. I will miss it forever but I did my thing so I have memories until old age takes them away. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I logged most of my days at A basin and hiking the backcountry all around it. They are gate friendly there and hitchhiking back to the resort was easy. Lots of cool folks with pickup trucks. Made a lot of friends that way. 

Keystone *had* great backcountry hiking with sking back in under the ropes. I knew a lot of patrollers and always told them our routes in advance. They way they didn't have to worry about lost guests dying and stuff.  Lol. Technically we were breaking the rules but never had a single problem. Now all the bowls are inbounds when the gates are open. Keystone was great for lower angle tree and bowl skiing but nothing compares to in bounds and out of bounds at a basin. That place was a mini mecca. 

I loved CO's attitude towards backcountry in all seasons. You could do whatever you wanted as long as a sign said you couldn't. Very few signs too. If you needed a rescue or airlift they would come and you would pay for it. Thankfully none of that happened to me personally but I had 2 friends get airlifted at a cost of 10k each. 

I 4 wheeled my truck and rode my enduro all over the place in the summer. Scarey at times but I stayed away from the gnarly stuff. Camped and fished and partied. It's a very free spirited state for sure. And you meet all kinds of interesting people along the way. I will miss it forever but I did my thing so I have memories until old age takes them away. 

Sounds like you did it right. If you ever get the chance check out Revelstoke up in BC. Amazing. Laid back town. Still off the beaten path. Amazing mountain. So much tree skiing and I'm not even sure what's technically in bounds and I doubt they care.  Met an older local (in his 60s) who was looking for someone to go backcountry with and had an amazing time. He even waxed my skis at the end of the day. He was still doing some pretty hard core stuff for his age. I only hope I'm so lucky.  It's also a snowmobiling Mecca. If you get lucky they can get absolutely slammed with snow. Last time there it snowed all week about 40" total. It's a hike to get to though. Colorado is way more accessible. 

46 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Coming from Florida off vacation, and it's such a wonderful place to live where you can wear shorts basically year round. I've been here in summer though and that's just brutal to be around, unless you're in the Keys. For some reason Keys life is just wonderful but pretty costly to live in. I personally like where we live in this area of the country. We get those 4 seasons to enjoy and sometimes, when the stars align, we get a decent snow and fulfill the love that is winter. Colorado would be the best place, other than here, that I could think of to enjoy sort of what we have over here. They have 4 seasons east of the divide as well, and sometimes all in the same day! They say if you don't like the weather in Maryland, wait 15 minutes. Colorado weather will laugh and say "Hold my beer". What a crazy, wonderful place to live. 

Yea was hiking in summer pretty high up above telluride and it was 80 then a storm rolled in and it was snowing by the time we got down the mountain. 

Archived