Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Scrapple is the greatest breakfast meat ever created...as long as it's cooked right!

Not sure about combining it with lobster, though...

Scrapple has to be crispy outside. Now I'm hungry.

Last weekend it was a road trip to OC for snow, but this weekend I'm torn. Rapa scrapple factory in Delaware or Connecticut for lobster? Life's tough decisions.

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Scrapple is the greatest breakfast meat ever created...as long as it's cooked right!

Not sure about combining it with lobster, though...

While scrapple is great nothing beats a good hash. While up at Cape Cod this summer went to a place called the Pancake Man 3 times because they had the best homemade hash I have ever eaten. 

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

While scrapple is great nothing beats a good hash. While up at Cape Cod this summer went to a place called the Pancake Man 3 times because they had the best homemade hash I have ever eaten. 

This reminds me of when I used to buy hash from a guy called the pancake man back in high school.

Seriously though, breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day.

3 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Scrapple has to be crispy outside. Now I'm hungry.

Last weekend it was a road trip to OC for snow, but this weekend I'm torn. Rapa scrapple factory in Delaware or Connecticut for lobster? Life's tough decisions.

There is an incredible lobster shack in Portland, ME right on the water called Portland Lobster Company (I know how generic). Their lobster is fresh as can be and the portion size for the price just cannot be beat. Amazing coleslaw too and have homemade desserts to boot. The atmosphere on the water is cool with the old school New England feel. If you are ever up in New England for any reason, I'd suggest a stop. For convenience sake this go around, I'd go with Scrapple. Delicious

9 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

There is an incredible lobster shack in Portland, ME right on the water called Portland Lobster Company (I know how generic). Their lobster is fresh as can be and the portion size for the price just cannot be beat. Amazing coleslaw too and have homemade desserts to boot. The atmosphere on the water is cool with the old school New England feel. If you are ever up in New England for any reason, I'd suggest a stop. For convenience sake this go around, I'd go with Scrapple. Delicious

I'm sure it's nothing by comparison, but my family and I took our first trip to NE this past summer.  Some of my colleagues from the Boston area told us about the lobster rolls that McDonald's sells in their NE locations.  We thought that's a must try.  Wow, what a surprise!  They were great.  Spent a few days on Cape Cod, a couple days in Boston and a couple of days in CT.  Ate seafood about every night no matter where we were and had a great time.  Hope to make it further North the next time around.  Will keep the Portland Lobster Company in mind. 

16 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

We were in Portland two summers ago but I don't think we went to the Lobster Co. We were on our way to Acadia and had pulled into the city pretty early, but we did luck out and got into Shipyard Brewing Co for an early visit and some of their beers. It was an awesome trip because every small town had a lobster pound so we gorged ourselves. I'm definitely going to head up to visit Portland again so I'll keep the place in mind. Thanks!

My favorite lobster roll was the one I had at Abbott's in CT with the clam roll I had from Costello's down the street. It may not have been the best one but the memory of it is. And I like the buttery CT lobster rolls over ME salad'sih rolls. Just my preference.

by the way, Mason's Lobster Rolls in Annapolis is pretty darn good for a local place. I wish it was a shack on the water, but for taste, they're good!

It's like spam but more gross.

Originates from Pennsylvania and the Appalachians. Poor folks who couldn't afford Meats would go to the butcher after he was done processing a pig. Everything that was to be thrown out would be gathered by the less fortunate. They would grind it up add a broth or water to it then set it in pans and let it rest or freeze it. Then they slice it after it hardened and fry it.

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

All this talk about favorite breakfast meats and there was no mention of bacon from anyone? 

There is no need. Bacon will always be top of the breakfast meat pyramid. Anyone who says otherwise will see me at their front door in 5 min and I will correct them

If you are interested in Scrapple, go to your local grocery store and find the section in the back where they sell the pigs feet, intestines and hoofs. It will be vacuumed sealed. Don't worry it won't break the bank so drop $2 and buy a pound of it. When you get home open it up and take a whiff...

8 hours ago, Stormpc said:

It's like spam but more gross.

Originates from Pennsylvania and the Appalachians. Poor folks who couldn't afford Meats would go to the butcher after he was done processing a pig. Everything that was to be thrown out would be gathered by the less fortunate. They would grind it up add a broth or water to it then set it in pans and let it rest or freeze it. Then they slice it after it hardened and fry it.

Yup - pretty much.

At its base, scrapple is an Amish product. It's pig offal and other stuff that doesn't make it off the bones during the processing for your normal cuts of meat. The "stuff" is boiled down, then skimmed, and the bones removed. The meat that remains is then combined with with cornmeal (I think) and made into a block.

Best preparation (and the only one, to be fair) is to cut it into a 1/2-1" thick slice and pan fry or deep fry. Get it nice and crispy on the outside - the contrast between crispy and soft on the inside is lovely.

I personally like to eat mine with pancakes or French toast, and ensure that plenty of syrup gets dumped on the scrapple. Salty/savory and sweet. Or a scrapple, egg, and cheese.  Aaaaaaggggghhhhhhghghgh...

scrapple-and-syrup.jpg

Archived