Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Yay. Cold and dry, fast moving clippers, and super quick flying waves of LP to the South. We might actually muster a WWA type storm with that pattern. :-D

Yea and we can tell its a dry pattern from this far out.  That will depend on the strength of the STJ and systems ejecting from the west.  Everyone has been whining about the PNA all winter and now that we are about to get it they are whining about "it could be dry".  Yes if the NAO stays positive the risk is progressive but signs are we may get some NAO help after and that would allow the jet to slow and buckle even more and then even a weak system coming into the trough could amplify and get er done.  Jan 1996 happened in a nina pattern without a roided out STJ to work with.  I see nothing that upsets me in the long range yet, Feb and early March has been kind to us lately and honestly how many winters do we get more then 5 good weeks anyways?  If they come the last 5 so be it.  

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea and we can tell its a dry pattern from this far out.  That will depend on the strength of the STJ and systems ejecting from the west.  Everyone has been whining about the PNA all winter and now that we are about to get it they are whining about "it could be dry".  Yes if the NAO stays positive the risk is progressive but signs are we may get some NAO help after and that would allow the jet to slow and buckle even more and then even a weak system coming into the trough could amplify and get er done.  Jan 1996 happened in a nina pattern without a roided out STJ to work with.  I see nothing that upsets me in the long range yet, Feb and early March has been kind to us lately and honestly how many winters do we get more then 5 good weeks anyways?  If they come the last 5 so be it.  

We're gonna be pissed when New England is getting smoked by feet of cold powder and we nickle and dime our way to 6.5" via a train of Miller Bs.

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

We're gonna be pissed when New England is getting smoked by feet of cold powder and we nickle and dime our way to 6.5" via a train of Miller Bs.

Next time there's a big threat, we should send you out on a trip somewhere and fly you back in last minute once we know the system will dump snow on us. It worked pretty well the last time. If you're lucky, we might be able to afford a few in flight beverages. We'll splurge for a blizzard. 

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Next time there's a big threat, we should send you out on a trip somewhere and fly you back in last minute once we know the system will dump snow on us. It worked pretty well the last time. If you're lucky, we might be able to afford a few in flight beverages. We'll splurge for a blizzard. 

Haha! I'm game for it, even though I'll probably be sh**ting myself the entire time I'm away! :lol:

Fairfax County is all in for the storm:

This is a message from Fairfax Alerts

CREWS PREP FOR SLOPPY SATURDAY
Avoid travel during day-long snow, sleet, freezing rain forecast in northern Virginia

FAIRFAX—Virginia Department of Transportation and contract crews are preparing for plummeting temperatures and a gamut of winter weather forecast for northern Virginia this weekend, from early Saturday morning through Sunday morning. 

Drivers are asked to monitor weather reports for the latest updates to avoid being on the road during periods of limited visibility or icy conditions. Stay off roads Saturday or delay trips until Sunday if possible, to avoid being caught in deteriorating conditions as weather transitions between snow, sleet and freezing rain through the day.

Crews began pretreating roads yesterday and will be staged roadside in the region by 10 p.m. tonight. Throughout Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William and Arlington* counties (*Arlington maintains own secondary roads) crews treat about 5,200 lane miles of interstates and other high-volume roads with liquid magnesium chloride or brine when conditions allow for winter weather. Learn more about northern Virginia’s snow preparations.

Why does VDOT ask drivers to stay home?

Visibility will be limited during periods of snow.
Freezing rain causes an ice glaze that is difficult to see. Black ice often looks like pavement that is simply wet, making it extremely hazardous for driving or walking.
Four-wheel drive vehicles cannot stop any better than two-wheel drive vehicles on ice.

5 hours ago, Grothar of Herndon said:

Fairfax County is all in for the storm:

This is a message from Fairfax Alerts

CREWS PREP FOR SLOPPY SATURDAY
Avoid travel during day-long snow, sleet, freezing rain forecast in northern Virginia

FAIRFAX—Virginia Department of Transportation and contract crews are preparing for plummeting temperatures and a gamut of winter weather forecast for northern Virginia this weekend, from early Saturday morning through Sunday morning. 

Drivers are asked to monitor weather reports for the latest updates to avoid being on the road during periods of limited visibility or icy conditions. Stay off roads Saturday or delay trips until Sunday if possible, to avoid being caught in deteriorating conditions as weather transitions between snow, sleet and freezing rain through the day.

Crews began pretreating roads yesterday and will be staged roadside in the region by 10 p.m. tonight. Throughout Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William and Arlington* counties (*Arlington maintains own secondary roads) crews treat about 5,200 lane miles of interstates and other high-volume roads with liquid magnesium chloride or brine when conditions allow for winter weather. Learn more about northern Virginia’s snow preparations.

Why does VDOT ask drivers to stay home?

Visibility will be limited during periods of snow.
Freezing rain causes an ice glaze that is difficult to see. Black ice often looks like pavement that is simply wet, making it extremely hazardous for driving or walking.
Four-wheel drive vehicles cannot stop any better than two-wheel drive vehicles on ice.

Beet juice party!

17205990-Cartoon-beet-Stock-Vector-apple

I am so set for this winter you have no idea. The snow gods or Revolutionary War gods were looking down. I did an 18th century event in the Snow in Trenton NJ last Saturday. It was perfect. Snow started just as we arrived (allowing us to get there) and continued for about 8 hours, total time in the snow 24 hours. I couldn't have been more perfect. 5 inches total (only 1-2 was expected).

Back row, 7th from the left with the knit cap. It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

15941440_619531634904084_8177190890342470298_n.jpg

8 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

This board is very fun. Optimism for winter returning in the southeast and New England forums, endless torch talk in New York subforum. Who knows what pattern will set in but it's all fun to track 

I like to nomad around to see if there is some good discussion going on and the New York forum seems to have been overtaken by pessimists and warministas. Very odd because in years past I've observed the NYC thread was filled with over optimists who thought every storm was their birthright and acted shocked whenever it didn't snow. Perhaps that chased the objective posters out. But they also have less diversity of thought. It's really only a few people talking amongst themselves. Shocking considering how many more people are in their region. They still have a few excellent contributors like Don S but their forum seems to be dead compared to years past. 

24 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

A friend just texted me and said that on WBAL TV there was a chef making a lobster and scrapple grilled cheese sandwich. How have I never thought of that before?

Scrapple is the greatest breakfast meat ever created...as long as it's cooked right!

Not sure about combining it with lobster, though...

Archived