Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter Thread

H2O

10 hours ago, nj2va said:

Anyone have the Philips Hue lights?  I got an Alexa Echo for Christmas and I want to start setting up the "smart" lights.  Curious your thoughts if you like the Hue brand lights.

My brother has the Hue lights and likes them.  His kids love that the lights can change colors, and they have some different "ambiance" modes set up.

My own "smart home" setup uses a Wink Hub (which can control other devices) and GE Link lightbulbs.  It's worked well overall, though my wife doesn't like that you have to use a phone to turn them off and on.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kingstonian said:

My brother has the Hue lights and likes them.  His kids love that the lights can change colors, and they have some different "ambiance" modes set up.

My own "smart home" setup uses a Wink Hub (which can control other devices) and GE Link lightbulbs.  It's worked well overall, though my wife doesn't like that you have to use a phone to turn them off and on.  

Thanks, that's good to hear that your brother uses/likes them.  I ordered the Hue starter kit this morning.  Speaking of the Wink Hub, I don't understand when you need a hub or if you need a hub for any smart device - e.g. I know for the Hue lights, I need the Hue bridge which then can be controlled via the Echo/Alexa.  But if you buy a smart outlet that can be controlled via Echo/Alexa, do you need another hub (i.e. Wink) to act as the bridge between Alexa and the plug?  These are probably obvious questions that I'm asking, sorry! :) 

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

Spending the next hour at a kids party. Surrounded by super wealthy moms who huff and puff about having to leave their homes, in their Hunter boots and Coach bags. Kill me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as a golf buddy once told me during a bad round of golf....

Drink through it....

Nut

28 minutes ago, mappy said:

Spending the next hour at a kids party. Surrounded by super wealthy moms who huff and puff about having to leave their homes, in their Hunter boots and Coach bags. Kill me

Teach them! :)

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Yes! Especially when I'm stuck just sitting and watching my kid play in a gym.

All kids parties in winter should be held at a bowling alley.  They serve beer and you can take out no snow rage on wooden pins

2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

These have been the absolute worst set of wild card games I can ever remember.  Giants / Packers could be good, but these first 3 have been atrocious.

Beyond awful. I really hope the Packers game is entertaining. Detroit game could've been good, but no one told the Lions this was a playoff game apparently. 

If that wasn't one of the most blatant targeting penalties on a QB I have ever seen, then I don't know what one is.  There was a clear case for ejection on #48.  Lead with the crown of his helmet on the QB's jaw.  And then the refs turn around and call unsportsmanlike against the dolphins rb?  For that?  Where was the flag 10 minutes earlier when Steelers' Heyward-Bey was acting like a WWE fool?  Goodness.  

51 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've been horrendous in pick 'em too to compound the pain. Sitting in 2nd place but backsliding. Ugh. 

Targeting is part of the NFL rules now? I thought it was just college?

Good point; that is still a college-only rule.  Just seems like with all the emphasis by the NFL on helmet-to-helmet contact, that rule would exist in the NFL too.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Actually, you may have been right. Apparently you cannot lead with the crown of your helmet on any defenseless player. 

No, you can't; that's been the rule for several years.  However, there is no specific "targeting" penalty which could result in a DQ.  It looks like the only penalty is the 15-yard "roughing / unsportsmanlike".  Get two of those in a game, and it results in a DQ.

11 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I just don't see it that way.  I think Dallas is a far superior team right now.

Dallas won't give GB the ball every 3 or 4 minutes.

11 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I pray you're right.  At least Dallas will be rested.

Yeah, I hope you are right also, but after watching my Vikes play both teams in the past month, it was light and day between who was the better team, and it wasn't the guys with the stars on their helmets.  Maybe it is just matchups, but it has to be concerning to Dallas that two of the teams they had the most trouble with (Giants, Vikes) were just steamrolled by the Packers.

23 hours ago, nj2va said:

Thanks, that's good to hear that your brother uses/likes them.  I ordered the Hue starter kit this morning.  Speaking of the Wink Hub, I don't understand when you need a hub or if you need a hub for any smart device - e.g. I know for the Hue lights, I need the Hue bridge which then can be controlled via the Echo/Alexa.  But if you buy a smart outlet that can be controlled via Echo/Alexa, do you need another hub (i.e. Wink) to act as the bridge between Alexa and the plug?  These are probably obvious questions that I'm asking, sorry! :) 

22 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Depends on the item.

I have WeMo outlets and switches that can be directly controlled w/o a hub/bridge.  But other products (like the light bulbs) need a bridge to facilitate the communication.

If folks with home automation devices don't know about it yet, check out IFTTT.com.

It depends -- and that's one of the more frustrating things with home automation/Internet of Things.

Some devices that support multiple standards can be used natively with multiple devices -- a hub, HomeKit, Alexa, etc.  Others will only work within their particular ecosystem, and the hub may or may not let it talk to other devices.  For example, Apple's HomeKit won't talk to Wink (without more work than I'm willing to put into it, like building a Raspberry Pi device running homebrew software) or Google/Nest devices.  

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think I'd actually like it if we could get shut out the rest of the way with warm temps to go along with it.

I'd just like to watch how some of the people here would act.

Add a 4-6 inch overnight snowfall around March 10th to ruin the shutout that melts all away on mid 50's temps with bright sunshine next day and I think it would be complete.

Archived