• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter Thread

H2O

Anyone remember the surprise snow feb 1996. Miller b clipper. Bombed way west of predicted. Nothing in the forecast the night before and woke up to heavy snow in Herndon va. Got 9". Everyone talks about Jan 2000 but I remember that one as a great last minute surprise also. Not similar to this just wondering why it doesn't get more talk as a last minute trend system. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Sounds good! Can't wait for the OBS thread later this evening.  Should be rockin.  I got some Makers on reserve for later. 

A Friday evening with snow possibly coming. Kids are quiet, showered and now listening to Led Zeppelin on DVD. I just want to enjoy this

31 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Anyone remember the surprise snow feb 1996. Miller b clipper. Bombed way west of predicted. Nothing in the forecast the night before and woke up to heavy snow in Herndon va. Got 9". Everyone talks about Jan 2000 but I remember that one as a great last minute surprise also. Not similar to this just wondering why it doesn't get more talk as a last minute trend system. 

Worked it and went with heavy snow based on the 18z RUN

38 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I remember it well. I think it's just that 1/00 is the more recent example *and* there's this sense with 1/00 that weenies outdid the pros when we all watched radar from SC and saw that it didn't jibe with the forecast. The other great last minute surprise from 95/96 was the 4" wave behind the front in March (3/7-8).

1 hour ago, gymengineer said:

I remember it well. I think it's just that 1/00 is the more recent example *and* there's this sense with 1/00 that weenies outdid the pros when we all watched radar from SC and saw that it didn't jibe with the forecast. The other great last minute surprise from 95/96 was the 4" wave behind the front in March (3/7-8).

I was a meteorology major at PSU hazleton at the time. We were way way outside the threat area and got about 8". I remember I had time in the weather station that afternoon and looking at wv loop and thinking it's way more amped then projected. I asked the meteorologist they had on staff that year what the chances were of all the guidance just being wrong from that close and he gave me a dismissive answer. He wasn't even interested. Lol.  The rest is history. The 0z ETA and MRFcame in way west. 

Can't remember the guys name. The years before it was Jon Neese but he left. I had a couple classes with Neese. I remember he still had a thing for the ngm and didn't trust the AVN or ETA much and a storm early November he went rain for us and the ETA had snow and we got 6". My friend loved to argue with him and would annoy him to no end at our daily forecasting meetings. He was a nice guy though. Put up with a lot of crap from snotty know it all upstarts. 

Professional weenie/lurker here. Just wanted to say thanks to the board contributors for all the knowledge I gained over past few years. Things seem ok here in RIC but really pulling for you folks up north as you deserve this one for all the effort. Thanks for your insight! 

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Good to hear that she loves snow!

She does! She's also into storms and looking at radar. A total nut job, but she's the best!

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Holy hell, we're getting old.  I feel like I remember on these forums when you posted about her birth.  

I know. Crazy stuff, isn't it? She just wanted snow for Christmas, but I think she'll be happy tomorrow. 2" is as good ad 2' for them at this age!

55 minutes ago, mappy said:

Happy birthday to her!

Thanks! We both know well how the time flies!

28 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

:clap:

Thanks, man. I really appreciate it. It'll be awesome for her to have a party tomorrow with snow on the ground (knock on wood)!

Archived