Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If I want a hint of sweetness I go for a milk stout. I have been into the Holiday one from Flying Dog lately. The big Imperials usually tend to be more hoppy. I dont mind a hint of sweetness if its there but I usually dont pick up on it, nor miss it if its not there. I have tried some barrel aged ones, and as long the oakiness isn't to prominent, I like those as well.

I like big stouts that are either sweetened with lactose (milk stouts) or were mashed at a such a high temp that the yeast can't break down the complex sugars that were created. I think it really helps balance that bitterness from the roast and hops. Barrel it and I get all tingly inside.

That said, I don't want a beer that cloyingly sweet. I tried Founders' Lizard of Koz a couple weeks ago. Holy sh*t was that (way too) sweet. A straight-up diabeetus beer.

13 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I like big stouts that are either sweetened with lactose (milk stouts) or were mashed at a such a high temp that the yeast can't break down the complex sugars that were created. I think it really helps balance that bitterness from the roast and hops. Barrel it and I get all tingly inside.

That said, I don't want a beer that cloyingly sweet. I tried Founders' Lizard of Koz a couple weeks ago. Holy sh*t was that (way too) sweet. A straight-up diabeetus beer.

Now I am jonesing for a serious high gravity stout. Might pick up a Dogfish Head WWS and sip on that tonight. One will do me.

22 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Now I am jonesing for a serious high gravity stout. Might pick up a Dogfish Head WWS and sip on that tonight. One will do me.

I haven't had one on those yet. That has *got* to be a long-term sipper. Probably opens up really nicely once it warms. Let us know how it is if you decide to crack one!

8 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I've had a bourbon county stout in the fridge since before Christmas that I'm going to break into when I get home.

Nice. BCBS is awesome. Is it a 2016?

I've only got one from this year, so I'm going to cellar it until next Thanksgiving or so. I'm hoping to get a couple 2017s when they come out. I've only just started with cellaring beers, but I've got 15 or so various beers down there now.

When we last went to HHI, the World of Beer down there had both the 2015 and 2016 on tap ($13 for an 8 oz pour, which isn't bad). I had the 2015 and it was absolutely phenomenal. I sat on it for about 1.5 hours, and would love to have had a 2016 but we didn't have a ton of time, so I grabbed an easy drinker to finish up.

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I haven't had one on those yet. That has *got* to be a long-term sipper. Probably opens up really nicely once it warms. Let us know how it is if you decide to crack one!

I bought a 4 pack around thanksgiving. Its  a sipper. Its typically 18%. Crazy amount of barley. As it warms you get more of the molasses and fruit and hints of chocolate. Its good cold, but a different experience. I need to buy a couple and let them age. I always fail at that lol.

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I bought a 4 pack around thanksgiving. Its  a sipper. Its typically 18%. Crazy amount of barley. As it warms you get more of the molasses and fruit and hints of chocolate. Its good cold, but a different experience. I need to buy a couple and let them age. I always fail at that lol.

Always the plan going in, but so hard to see it through! :lol:

Buddy of mine was over last weekend. When he saw that I had a Backwoods Bastard in my fridge, he asked me how many I had left. I told him that I had just the one left for this year, with two downstairs to age. He pouted and said he'd never had it and really wanted to try one. I'm a good friend, so I relented (that b*tch). It's going to take all of my willpower to keep from going downstairs and dipping into my stash. I *love* that beer. I definitely need to buy a few four-packs next year.

You beer Buffs are speaking a language I know nothing about. I wish I had the patience. I typically get beer then drink beer. It's never around long enough to age and even when I open one it doesn't have a chance to stay alive for more than 15 or 20 minutes. Some of the heavier high alcohol content beers may last 30 minutes. Im very low class in that regard. 

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Always the plan going in, but so hard to see it through! :lol:

Buddy of mine was over last weekend. When he saw that I had a Backwoods Bastard in my fridge, he asked me how many I had left. I told him that I had just the one left for this year, with two downstairs to age. He pouted and said he'd never had it and really wanted to try one. I'm a good friend, so I relented (that b*tch). It's going to take all of my willpower to keep from going downstairs and dipping into my stash. I *love* that beer. I definitely need to buy a few four-packs next year.

Ha I just saw that in the store. I need to try it sometime. Love Founders stouts. A scotch ale is a bit different for them.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Nice. BCBS is awesome. Is it a 2016?

I've only got one from this year, so I'm going to cellar it until next Thanksgiving or so. I'm hoping to get a couple 2017s when they come out. I've only just started with cellaring beers, but I've got 15 or so various beers down there now.

When we last went to HHI, the World of Beer down there had both the 2015 and 2016 on tap ($13 for an 8 oz pour, which isn't bad). I had the 2015 and it was absolutely phenomenal. I sat on it for about 1.5 hours, and would love to have had a 2016 but we didn't have a ton of time, so I grabbed an easy drinker to finish up.

Yeah, it's a 2016, and you're right, it's a big beer. Definitely one to pass the time with. The only beers I've aged is some of the pumpkins. Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin is really good aged a year or two.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

You beer Buffs are speaking a language I know nothing about. I wish I had the patience. I typically get beer then drink beer. It's never around long enough to age and even when I open one it doesn't have a chance to stay alive for more than 15 or 20 minutes. Some of the heavier high alcohol content beers may last 30 minutes. Im very low class in that regard. 

It's really all about what kind of experience you're looking for. Certain beers taste best when you let them age and/or come up in temperature in the glass. Some are better drunk fresh as can be and really cold. There's a middle ground, as well.

Another thing - at least for me - is the season/weather. In fall and winter, I prefer bigger (9%+), darker beers - generally ones that age really well. As spring comes around, I start jonesing for lighter, crisper, slightly less powerful beers. These are ones that I'm looking to crush.

I personally don't like to get too drunk any more, so it's all about that warming feeling I get from a few drinks, and enjoying the process of seeing different beers through from start to finish....and this is especially true when you're spending a pretty penny to drink them!

3 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, it's a 2016, and you're right, it's a big beer. Definitely one to pass the time with. The only beers I've aged is some of the pumpkins. Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin is really good aged a year or two.

Very cool. It would make sense for pumpkins to age fairly well - gives the spices a chance to settle and meld. Takes some of the potential harshness out of them.

Love BCBS...

Just now, mattie g said:

Very cool. It would make sense for pumpkins to age fairly well - gives the spices a chance to settle and meld. Takes some of the potential harshness out of them.

Love BCBS...

I'm off tomorrow so I'm pregaming before cracking that bourbon county with a Flying Dog holiday milk stout. Life is good.

26 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You saw Backwoods? There's Dirty Bastard, as well - that's a more readily available beer.

Ah it might have been that one.

I just broke open the WWS. WOW. I am loving it more than when I had it at Thanksgiving. A couple more months of aging maybe. Lots of dark fruit. Smells great. Has a decent alcohol bite but its more hidden that you would expect for an 18% abv beer. This might be a short term sipper if I'm not careful :P 

Archived